AutoInput Is the Unlock screen action meant to be configurable? (Workaround for Samsung phones inside)

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Scottoo, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Scottoo

Scottoo New Member

I'm using an unrooted Note 4 on 5.0.1 with a lockscreen PIN/Smart lock. I've seen references to the Autoinput 'Unlock Screen' action being able to unlock a lockscreen with a PIN. However the pencil icon that you'd normally click to edit the action (say, to enter a PIN to use) isn't clickable.

Is there something extra that needs to be done to get this to work, or does it not work on Lollipop/without root?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

A sentence like "no configuration necessary" should show up when you click that button. :) Doesn't it?

Scottoo likes this.
  3. Scottoo

Scottoo New Member

I have a non-rooted Samsung Galaxy Note 4 on 5.0.1 with Smartlock, and a rooted Nexus 7 on 4.4.2 that's set to unlock on swipe. I don't get any notices about no configuration being necessary on either device within Tasker.

If it helps, this is for the Google Play Music Thumbs Up /Down actions from the project I posted here. The goal is to click on a lockscreen notification to like or unlike a song, which then unlocks the phone and performs the rest of the action.

To test this out, I've tried running a simple task that has the following steps:
    • wait 8 seconds from launching the task so I can hit the Power button, turning off the screen and giving the phone time to lock
    • run the Autoinput Unlock Screen action
    • display a Flash message saying 'Unlocked'
    • run the Screen lock action as suggested.
    Here's what happens:

On the Nexus 7 that's set to Swipe to unlock, it works as expected and goes past the lockscreen.
    Edit: I've just tested this with a PIN enabled on the Nexus, and the task unlocks the tablet. I'm now wondering whether this is a Samsung or Lollipop issue.

On the Note 4 with Smartlock on, it wakes up the phone to the lockscreen, but I still have to swipe to get past it. If I turn the Smartlock off, it wakes the phone up to the lockscreen but I still have to enter my PIN.

I haven't been able to find an explanation of how this action is meant to work, so I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly. Does it require root, or is there another action I'm meant to run alongside it where I input the PIN that would be needed to unlock the phone/perform the swipe if Smartlock is enabled?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  4. joaomgcd

Yeah, unfortunately I think that's a samsung lock screen issue. The unlock screen action works well on my nexus 6 and 7 but people have been reporting that it doesn't work on samsung devices unfortunately.

And sorry, my mistake, it doesn't show "no configuration necessary". It shows the warning about re-locking the screen.

Sorry, I don't think there's anything I can do about samsung lock screens unfortunately :(

5. Scottoo

Scottoo New Member

Thanks for the response!

That's a shame about Samsung phones but I've come up with a workaround that seems to do the trick:

My goal was to have a clickable Autonotification notification that lets me like or dislike a song from the lockscreen. So I've set up one task that uses a few Autoinput actions to change my lockscreen to swipe (where the Unlock screen action does work) when Google Play Music is open and a second one that enables my PIN lock again when I dismiss the Thumbs up and Thumbs down lockscreen notifications.

When it comes to stuff like this, I think Tasker and the Auto* plugins are just about the best thing about Android.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  6. joaomgcd

Great! :) Thanks for sharing the workaround!

7. Scottoo

Scottoo New Member

The forum isn't letting me upload the tasks directly, so here they are: