Open Join not connecting to server on home network, port issues?

Discussion in 'Join' started by Aephir, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Aephir

Aephir New Member

Hi,
    I might have done this myself, but I can't seem to fix this. Join doesn't work on my home network. It works just fine at work, or even if I connect both my phone and laptop to my phones hotspot.

I've been forwarding some ports here and there for other stuff (I'm using external 443, 155, 160, 175, 230, 6680, 8883), and can see that "Back to my Mac" automatically forwards port 4500 and 5353 to my laptop.

Other than that, I can't really think of what the issue should be. It's been "not working" for a while (or sometimes slightly working, I can sometimes get my new messages to appear in the chrome add-on, but I can't text from the add-on, and after a while, it tries to refresh, and hangs forever). And I seem to remember it has been working at some point while most of the forwards have been set up.

I've tried the "diagnostics", and it gets stuck at "Sending Push to server..."

Any ideas would be appreciated. Cheers!

2. Sarc

Sarc New Member

I had something like this happen to me now. I wasn't getting any SMS notifications after I got home and connected to my home network. I checked the logs on my phone and Join wasn't sending notifications. The Drive category wasn't even available. I forced stopped Join in Android application settings and started it again. It immediately synced my messages.

I'm wondering if switching networks made Join confused and couldn't connect properly again. I tried running diagnostics and it was stuck on the first test until I force stopped Join.

3. Aephir

Aephir New Member

Thanks. I guess I should have stressed that it was on the computer (chrome add-on) on my home network. It works just fine when I'm at work, using mobile hotspot, at my girlfriends, basically anything but my home wifi.

I tried diagnostics on the laptop, an had issues. Now I just tried on my phone, and see the it completes. And what's more, it communicates just fine with my desktop (which is actually connected via wifi atm).

And while I was writing this, the message to the laptop came through. Just a few minutes delay...

The laptop is a macbook running os x 10.12.6 with the add-on run in chrome 60.0.3112.113
    The desktop is a Windows 10 pc, also running newest version of chrome. So seems to be a OSX/Mac (chrome for mac?) problem. However, I did also get an error for the "Join" part of the setup on my home assistant when I rebooted it. I didn't change anything. That one is running Raspbian Jessie with homeassistant installed in a virtual environment.

So maybe a Linux/UNIX problem?

4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi there. Can you please clarify what issue is it you're having now after the pushes came through? Thanks in advance!

5. Aephir

Aephir New Member

Sure, that was a bit messy :)

The chrome add-on on my macbook doesn't work. It can't complete the diagnostics (stuck at "Sending Push to server...") when on home network. It works fine on any other network (mobile data, work, etc.).

This seems to be specific for the macbook, my windows PC on the same network works fine. It also seems slightly similar to this topic I opened a while ago, since I was able to push a chrome tab from phone to macbook (it just took ~2 minutes). But as opposed to that topic, this is both ways (phone to macbook and macbook to phone), and only on my home network.

6. joaomgcd

Thank you :)
    Can you please try this re-installing the Chrome extension and see if that works for you? Sorry for the trouble.

7. Aephir

Aephir New Member

Sure, will do. I won't be home until Sunday or Monday, but I'll report back then. Thanks!

8. Aephir

Aephir New Member

I've re-installed the chrome extension, but same result. Hangs on "Sending Push to server...".

However, I might have spoken too soon about it working flawlessly on other networks. I mean, I can push pages back and forth when I make a mobile hotspot, so in that regard it works. But I tried running "diagnostics", and when on the mobile network, I get errors on:

"Receiving Push from server... Didn't receive push after 5 seconds. Error: undefined: Try the steps mentioned in the FAQ here" and

"[​IMG]Receiving Push with GCM key... Didn't receive push after 5 seconds. Error: undefined: Try the steps mentioned in the FAQ here"

But it pushes pages both ways instantaneously. Just not when connected to my home wifi.

9. joaomgcd

Are those diagnostics in Chrome?

10. Aephir

Aephir New Member

Yes, in chrome. And on my home wifi, it just hangs on "Sending Push to server..." in chrome.

It does sometimes push tabs successfully on the home network though. It is just not consistent. And the SMS (in chrome) seems unable to get SMS data/notifications. It keeps going back and forth between
    "Seems that the SMS service was not enabled for this device or that some files were not synced.
    Enabling SMS remotely now, please wait...
    "
    And displaying the conversations that it loaded when I was on my work wifi. With the "updating" circle arrow constantly spinning (for a few minutes now).

11. joaomgcd

12. Aephir

Aephir New Member

Yes (tested on the laptop that has issues). But when I click on my phone, and then sms, it says:

"
    No SMS found.

Please enable the SMS service on your Android device.
    Messaging
    "

13. joaomgcd

Hmm, what does it show if you go here? chrome://gcm-internals/ Is everything ok there?

14. Aephir

Aephir New Member

Sorry for the delay, I moved in with my girlfriend this weekend. So it's (maybe) not that much of an issue for me anymore. But I'm happy to help troubleshoot, so let me check that when I visit my old place, and I'll update!

EDIT:
    I've uploaded a few screenshots from chrome://gcm-internals/
    Except for the connection log, I don't see any issues. But what do I know :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017