Open Google Drive Folder Duplication

Discussion in 'Join' started by Mark Stevenson, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Mark Stevenson

Mark Stevenson New Member

Sorry if this has been answered before but I've got several devices that have duplicate "from ..." folders in the Join Files folders. Indeed there are duplicates within the "from ..." folders.

I'm aware that I can just delete all the files but this presumably destroys any history, sms data, etc.

Is there a simple way to work out which duplicates can be removed without adverse effects?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

3. Mark Stevenson

Hi there,

Not all the duplicates are from android devices. Two duplicate pairs are from Chrome on Windows machines (one windows 7 & one windows 10).

All the duplicate folders have the same date as each other so I can't tell which was created last from the web view of Google Drive.

If I just blow away all the contents of the 'Join Files' folder, what is the consequence?

Thanks,
    Mark

4. joaomgcd

You'll lose push history and SMS data and any transferred files. SMS data you can easily get back though :)

5. Mark Stevenson

So I deleted all the folders within Join Files. Since then the "from ..." folders have re-created correctly for my Android devices however a single Windows 10 machine now has THREE folders, one of which contained two push history folders. They all have the same creation date.

Not a real problem as I just delete them all but it appears something is not right with drive access from the chrome extension.
    I've noticed that creation of items within drive can take some time - could this be the issue? Obviously I don't know how you access google drive but could it be that you check for the folder, it is reported as not present (when in fact it does) and you then re-create the folder and thus create two duplicates?

6. Mark Stevenson

I've cleared out the folders again. I've just run the diagnostics on a windows 7 machine, nothing else. There are now two top level "from ..." folders for the one machine, each of which contain two Push History Files folders. Two of the four contain storedpushes=:=... and the other two contain pushes=:=... . Everything has the same creation date and time.
    Since the sizes are not significant it's not a problem but I guess there is more traffic than needed.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Mark

7. joaomgcd

Just to confirm, that's a Chrome extension that's creating the duplicates? Thanks

8. Mark Stevenson

Yes, Join Extension V1.7.9 running in Chrome Version 63.0.3239.132 (Official Build) (32-bit), on Windows 7.

9. joaomgcd

Thank you. Can you please let me know if you only have 1 Chrome device you use Join on?

10. Mark Stevenson

No I have six different machines with the Join Chrome extension on each. A mix of Windows 7 and Windows 10. That's in addition to two phones and a tablet.

11. joaomgcd

Oh I see. Do maybe multiple machines have the same name?

12. Mark Stevenson

no they are all unique - no duplicate names just duplicate folders, and duplicate folders within folders.

I have just run the chrome extension diagnostics on a single unique windows 10 laptop. Before there were no folders, afterwards there are three folders with the same name. I have done nothing more than run the diagnostic (which passed without error).

13. joaomgcd

Can you please show me how that folder structure looks like? Sorry for the trouble.

14. Mark Stevenson

Top level view :
    JoinDuplication.JPG

Then there are duplicates within:

JoinDuplication2.JPG

The top three single folders are Android devices. The duplicate Norcott, Oscar & Samson7 are Windows Chrome Ext.

I'm no programmer but could the first folder be 'locked' in some way so you can't use it so you create it again?

15. joaomgcd

Yes, that's actually what I'm doing already. :) But for some reason Google Drive is saying that the folder doesn't exist so the extension creates it again.... What happens if sort those folder by Last Modified and then keep only the latest of each with a unique name? (Remember to delete the stuff in the trash after you do that.) Thank you very much for your patience.