AutoLocation Geofences on Android 8 Oreo not working

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Stokesy, Sep 20, 2017.

1. destructure00

destructure00 New Member

Looks promising. I just manually ran my Tasker task that starts location monitor and I got the old GPS icon (from the GPS Status app) in the task bar that I used to get when it was actually pinging GPS. Will update again when I get home and the task runs by itself.

Is there a way to disable the persistent AutoLocation "Monitoring..." notification, or configure it so that it only shows when Location Monitor is started, rather than being on all the time?

2. breakthestatic

breakthestatic New Member

That's the problem with running as a foreground service. Google/Android FORCES the persistent notification. You should be able to block notifications globally for AutoLocation though (if you swipe slowly to the right/left on the notification it should show a gear icon where you can adjust the display). I'm going to try this out over the next day or so and see how my automations work under Oreo. Thanks @joaomgcd!

3. destructure00

destructure00 New Member

The notification is now gone from the top bar. It's still in the pull down menu but I can live with that.

As far as operation, so far so good. Worked perfectly when I got home tonight. Toggled wifi on and off a few times to activate different profiles and it worked as desired too. Will report back again after a couple days

4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Great :) Thanks for the first reports! Hopefully it keeps working.

5. destructure00

destructure00 New Member

Working great for me for the past few days! The excellent accuracy I had before the oreo update has been restored. Thanks joaomgcd!!

6. breakthestatic

Just wanted to chime in on here as well. The beta APK has been working well for me also. Had some un-related issues that I originally attributed to the new AutoLocation; however after doing some debugging, I found that the issue appeared to be with SharpTools/SmartThings and not AutoLocation itself. Thanks again for the assistance in getting this working for Oreo. If you need any further validation, let me know and I can provide any needed info or try specific scenarios. If not, I think this is possibly ready for prime-time in the play store (possibly just targeted at 8.0+ devices.)

7. joaomgcd

Aweome! :D thanks for all the validation everyone!

8. breakthestatic

Hey @joaomgcd, I was wondering if there was a way to minimize the visual impact of the persistent notification required for foreground services. I've noticed that Tasker has an option in their settings to remove the icon (so it doesn't clutter the status bar). When you expand the notification drawer, the persistent icon remains, but it is in a collapsed state, leaving more room for the other notifications. I'm not 100% sure how this is achieved, but might have something to do with setting the notification priority to PRIORITY_MIN (https://developer.android.com/reference/android/support/v4/app/NotificationCompat.html#PRIORITY_MIN). I'm not sure if that would have any impact on the resiliency of the service running, but I'd be willing to do some testing if you have time to attempt the change. I've attached two screenshots depicting what I mean

Screenshot_20180212-111054.jpg Screenshot_20180212-111101.jpg

9. joaomgcd

Hmm, but I already create the notification with minimum priority. Maybe you can change it yourself by long clicking it?

10. breakthestatic

Hmm, I don't seem to have any option to adjust priority. I do know that Tasker is somehow doing it on my phone w/ the same lack of notification options. Maybe this particular app isn't targeting oreo (with the notification channels?) I'm not an Android dev, so my knowledge is just pieced together from this i read while googling. Maybe your other app (AutoNotification) can help with this, but I'd rather not have an additional service running just for this single purpose. No worries if we can't do anything further, just wanted to see if there were options.

11. joaomgcd

Oh, I think I know how you can fix that :) That's actually an Android bug.
    • Long click notification
    • disable notifications for the app
    • re-enable notifications for the app
    • reboot
    That should make them low priority again. Let me know if this helps! Should work for both Tasker and AutoLocation

12. breakthestatic

No luck there. I disabled the notification, re-enabled it and rebooted and still see it in the status bar. No need to go crazy trying to fix this. If you do ever have downtime I will gladly continue assisting, but don't want to take your time up with a minor concern.

13. joaomgcd

Does trying to fix the Tasker notification work for you like mentioned here?

14. breakthestatic

Hmm, I never had this issue with Tasker. Ever since I disabled the "Show Notification Icon" option in Tasker's settings, it's remained hidden from the status bar (w/ the persistent notification remaining in the notification drawer).

15. joaomgcd

Weird. A lot of people were having that issue (myself included)... Does it work if you simply disable the notification in Android settings? :)

16. breakthestatic

Disabling the notification works in the sense that I don't see it anymore, but it seems to lose whatever protections from being killed that the persistent notification provides. I tried this in the beginning, but noticed that my geofences were not working properly. After re-enabling the notification it started working again. Oh well!

17. Stokesy

Stokesy New Member

Confirming the beta (1.1.52b) is working well for me too. Been using it for a couple weeks now. Thanks Joao!

18. joaomgcd

Awesome :) Can release it for everyone soon then!

19. Sean Dudley

Sean Dudley New Member

HI. I just wanted to let you know, I was having the Oreo geofences not working issue, and this update seems to have fixed the problem Thanks!

20. joaomgcd