AutoVoice "ask autovoice to" becomes "ask auto voice to" and is ignored

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by plb, Feb 19, 2018.

1. plb

plb New Member

About 2 out of 3 times when I say "ask autovoice to do such-and-such" the Google Assistant interprets "autovoice" as "auto voice" and then does not actually launch Autovoice - instead it just searches for sites containing "ask" and "auto" and "voice" and etc. If I do the same command multiple times then sometimes it will eventually figure out what I am asking (i.e., I don't think it could be a problem with configuration since it does work sometimes).

I have tried saying "autovoice" quickly to make sure there is no hint of a "space" in my voice, but that doesn't seem to help.

Any idea how I can get "ask autovoice" (or "tell autovoice") to be interpreted consistently by assistant?

I played around with shortcuts, but then I have to deal with first Assistant verbally telling me it's going to call Autovoice and then Autovoice verbally asking me what I want to do... I'd rather avoid that and have the voice communication be one-way (just me talking) to avoid the stares and awkwardness of "talking to" my phone.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi there.

I always get AutoVoice myself (and not auto voice)... Unfortunately there's nothing I can do to change how it recognizes it sorry, that part is all up to Google :(

Did you try saying it with a different accent maybe? Sorry, really wish I could be of more help.

3. plb

plb New Member

I typed it in instead of saying it several times in a row and it seems to be getting better - I guess there must be some learning and personalization that goes on.

However, now that I am getting "AutoVoice" a little more consistently I find that the situation is different than I had thought.

Now even when I get it to recognise "tell AutoVoice to..." or "ask Autovoice to..." it very often comes back with just a picture of the Autovoice icon and the words "AutoVoice installed" but it rarely actually calls AutoVoice. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4. joaomgcd

Hmm, what language is that exactly? Unfortunately AutoVoice on Google Assistant doesn't work in all languages yet...

5. plb

plb New Member

It's English except for the name of the currency... Here's a screenshot showing the exact same command being sent to av twice and the 3rd time getting the "installed" message...

Since it works sometimes I don't think it is language related... [​IMG]

6. plb

plb New Member

And here is another example using all English. Once again it is not behaving consistently - this time once as expected and twice with the "installed" message... [​IMG]

7. joaomgcd

Oh you're right. Unfortunately it's not something I can fix :( Google have to fix it themselves. Can you please report the issue to them? I'll do the same. Thanks

8. NickB

NickB New Member

FYI, this incorrect behavior begins when you have greater than 6 words present in the command sent to an Assistant App. When I ask my Google Home / Home Mini's for:

ask AutoVoice to expense $25 for test category test
    or
    ask Autovoice for the balance of my account ending

it will say, "Sure, for that you can talk to AutoVoice. Does that sound good?"

If I say,

ask Autovoice for the balance of my account

It works fine. Note, simply lowering the number of words below 7 after the Assistant App name you specify will temporary work around this issue.

Also, note, this is a regression from a (recent?) update to the Assistant.

Please post the links to the bugs you have filed with Google and I will cross-post.

9. joaomgcd

Yep, good find! I get that myself. I have posted a private request for this issue before but now I'm creating a public one.
    Here it is. Hope this helps

10. plb

plb New Member

NickB, this is a GREAT help! Thank you! Now at least I know which direction I need to go to implement a workaround...

11. plb

plb New Member

12. joaomgcd

Thank you very much