AutoNotification AutoNotifcation Query returns "file://null" for icons

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by yannick.rc, Apr 20, 2018.

1. yannick.rc

yannick.rc New Member

Hey guys.

AutoNotification Query often seems to have trouble catching other apps notification icons.

For instance when I try to get %anbutton2icon and %anstatusbaricon from an outlook notification on Android, it returns file://null for both. %anbutton1icon comes through fine.

Does anyone know what could be done about this? I've tried delaying the AutoNotification Query but without luck.

thanks,

Yannick

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Maybe you're getting the group notification and not the notification with the icon?

3. yannick.rc

yannick.rc New Member

Hi João ,

thank you so much for getting back to me! I should have mentioned, I'm using Android 6, which doesn't have grouped notifications. Unless you meant something else?

I usually send myself a single test email and run the script manually after I've received the notification for it. (Or use a profile when I am happy with the state of my script.)

Do you think it could be something else? Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated! And if you need any other info, let me know!

thank you!

Yannick

Here are my system details:
    OnePlus2
    Android Marshmallow (6.0.1)
    Tasker 5.1m​

4. joaomgcd

Thanks. My feeling is that the app is using a weird format for the icon that AutoNotification is not expecting. Do you have any other app besides Outlook where that happens? thanks

5. yannick.rc

yannick.rc New Member

Hi Joao,

thank you. That makes sense.

I just did some further tests. It happened consistently with outlook, and sometimes with google reminders, but I just saw that the latter had to do with me not filtering specifically enough. Sometimes, it used another google notifications icon and sometimes it used the icon I used for my added buttons on the notification bar. I'm guessing both of those have to do with me not filtering specifically enough.

So, currently it's only outlook. My apologies for the confusion!

Is there anything I can do about that? Is there a way to add the format to AutoNotification.

thanks again!

Yannick

6. joaomgcd

Unfortunately I don't use Outlook so I can't test it right now... but maybe I can try to install it... Does it work with Gmail?
    Also, if it's just one specific button you can probably use your own image since you know it's going to be missing :)

7. yannick.rc

yannick.rc New Member

Hey,

Thanks for that Joao, I understand you're busy, so only if you get the chance. I will try with gmail today and let you know.

If it helps, I extracted the outlook apk and looked inside the res/drawable-hdpi-v4 (there's no res/drawable-hdpi), so I'm guessing the notification icons are in there? Every file in there is a png, which looks normal. But I don't have enough experience here to know if this is the right place to look.

You're absolutely right. :) I've been doing the custom icon for the last year or so, but I wanted to create a cleaner more universal version of my task that works on everything. (Then again if it ends up not working for outlook, I'll just stick with the workaround. It seems it's only that one app at the moment. :))

I'll get back to you when I've had a chance to test it on gmail.

thank you!!

Yannick

8. yannick.rc

yannick.rc New Member

Hey Joao,

I have an update. I got excited and decided to test gmail! :) I found a few interesting things. In ended up with three cases:

1. Status Bar and Archive button is a Pin Icon (My fault, as I left a space in the icon string >%anstatusbaricon < :))
    2. Archive Button has a Gear Icon
    3. Archive Button has a Pin Icon.​

In cases 2. and 3. I can see that AutoNotification returns "file://null" for the Archive Button Icon. What's kind of cool is that AutoNotification uses the config_action_1_icon icon if ActionIconString2 returns "file://null", which is the Pin icon in 3. and is unset in 2. It could be a potential place for a backup icon, but would only work if I need only one specific backup icon and I choose one from the build in suggestions - so no custom icons, as far as I can tell.

Anyway, so not really solution but in short, AutoNotification can't find gmails Archive icon (%anbutton1icon) and outlooks %anbutton2icon and %anstatusbaricon.

thanks again,

Yannick

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018