Open Can't sign in, GCM ID no longer registered

Discussion in 'Join' started by Rani, May 22, 2018.

1. Rani

Rani New Member

So I just started, and wanted to rename my phone from (Galaxy S7 to My name)
    Can't log in anymore and just says device not registered anymore?

Not the start I was hoping for to be honest

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

What version of the app are you using? What happens if you open the navigation drawer on the left and click the account at the top?

3. Rani

Rani New Member

Thanks for the prompt reply, using the latest version
    The problem is I can't sign in at all, when I start the app I'm greeted with the sign in with google page and when I click it the popup at the bottom says "couldn't register on Join servers, GCM IT for Galaxy S7 no longer registered with GCM or invalid, removing from datastore"

4. Rani

Rani New Member

Bump

5. joaomgcd

Sorry for the delay. Can you please show me a screenshot of that? :/ Sorry for the trouble.

6. Rani

Rani New Member

Attached Files:

7. Rani

Rani New Member

To be honest it's very strange that you haven't come across this yet, all I did was rename the device from the phone, then it logged me out and couldn't sign back in.

To temporarily fix this issue I have to wipe the app's data and resign in, which then defaults my phone name to just Galaxy S7. We have 3 Galaxy S7s in the house...

8. joaomgcd

It must've been just a coincidence that it happened when you renamed the device... Does it happen again if you rename it?

9. Rani

Rani New Member

Yes it happens every time I try ...
    Whether renaming through phone or from Web gui

10. Rani

Rani New Member

Forget it. Where does join get the device name from? I'll just change that and not through join, I've changed my phono name in phone settings but join doesn't use that name, this is getting frustrating
    I'm unable to use it on all my devices which is the purpose of this app.

11. joaomgcd

Ok, sorry about that! I actually found the bug that was causing this and fixed it now! It should work with the latest update from Google Play now. Hope this helps!

Rani likes this.
  12. Rani

Rani New Member

Thank you for trying to fix it promptly but unfortunately the problem is still there.

I think I know the cause, when I was setting up the phones. Because they're both the same model (i9305) I restored a nandroid from one to the other (without restoring the imei of course).
    Reason I think this is the problem is because 2 of the three (i9305) are practically cloned. So I can only have one of them registered, whereas the third one has never had issues staying registered.

Id like to know how join identifies a device ID. Is it an imei number or another source of ID?

Tell me what to change manually so these 2 phones are different

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  13. joaomgcd

Oh, I see. Sorry that is not supported. Join uses GCM, it doesn't actually identify your android device directly. Unfortunately I don't know what GCM uses, sorry!

14. Rani

Rani New Member

OK well then would you know where it grabs the device name from? Join names my phone as "galaxy s7" I although my device name has been changed in both "about" and "Bluetooth" settings

15. joaomgcd

It grabs the name by your phone's model. Hope this clarifies it.

16. Rani

Rani New Member

Seems like poor design to me, what are people who have more than one device of the same model supposed to do?
    The whole purpose of this app is to link all your devices together and if you can't seem to rename them (like my situation) how are we supposed to differentiate between the different devices?

17. Rani

Rani New Member

Okay this is getting ridiculous, I've completely wiped (formatted internal card) and installed a completely different rom and reinstalled apps. Device ID should now be different, yet I'm still unable to register both devices!
    I can register one device and rename it without any issues. As soon as the other device gets registered both phones give me
    "Couldn't register on Join's servers: GCM ID for Galaxy S7 no longer registered with GCM or invalid, removing from database"

Both phone names have been renamed.
    The only way I can get this to work, is for one of the phones to sign into join with a different account and then share the device with the main account which is inconvenient and not to mention that I have to buy a second join license

You as the app's dev should make more of an effort to troubleshoot this issue to find the cause, but unfortunately that's non existent so far

18. joaomgcd

The app is not prepared to handle 2 cloned devices like you have done previously. It should support 2 devices with the same name with no issues. Since you have only done that now, how did you expect me to try to troubleshoot the situation before? :)

So, does this not work?
    1. Make sure devices are not cloned in any way
    2. Uninstall Join on both devices
    3. Install Join again
    4. Sign in on both
    5. Rename both
    Does this still originate an error?

19. Rani

Rani New Member

It seems to work when I first do it but after a while it says your device is not registered, registering now and goes back to original issue.

I'm trialing out joining onto another account of mine and then sharing the device that way (as mentioned earlier)
    But now the trial has ended. Would you be able to permit another license for email yara.korkise@gmail.com?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  20. joaomgcd

That only happens if something on your device kills Join in the background. That makes it reset the GCM key and has that effect... Are you sure you have nothing like that on your device? I can arrange for a key.

: GCM