Solved Shield TV - I'm unable to turn off toasts! Shouldn't I be able to?

Discussion in 'Join' started by 3m0, Jun 4, 2018.

?

Can you disable Join toasts on your Shield TV?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  1. 3m0

3m0 New Member

I've gone into the clipboard settings and disabled all toasts yet I still see them. I'm using node red to send lots and lots of Join pushes to my shield TV to track lots of sensors in real time. Right now, I can't turn off the toasts on the Shield TV and so I can't watch anything without constantly being interrupted.

I'm thinking this may be a problem unique to the Android TV devices? I haven't had this issue on my phones or tablets before. I know on AutoRemote I can disable incoming and outgoing toasts. Is this a bug or an unimplemented feature?

Please help Joao or anyone who can, I have 2 Shield TVs I really want to use with Join. Thank you

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi there. Do you have Tasker installed on that Shield TV?

3. 3m0

3m0 New Member

Yes I do. I have Tasker, join and autoremote installed on the Shield TV. They all work great except for this one thing. On AutoRemote I can turn off incoming toasts but not with Join. I would switch to AR for what I'm doing but I need Join for the HA/node red integration. Thank you

4. 3m0

3m0 New Member

Hi Joao, I saw that you have a Shield TV as well. Can you successfully turn off toasts on yours? I really need to be able to hide toasts so I use my Shield to keep Tasker variables up to date on my screens. Hopefully this already is implemented and I'm just not doing it right? Thank yiu

5. joaomgcd

Hmm, does it help if you reboot your Shield?

6. 3m0

3m0 New Member

Unfortunately not I've tried a few times. So it's working ok for you on your end?

7. 3m0

3m0 New Member

Ok I took some screenshots and tested it on 2 separate Shield TVs. Both are suffering from the same problem which is even after turning off any setting that could remotely be the notification I still see the toasts when my HA/node red sends a Join message to my Shield TV(s).

It appears that the Join messages I send from my phone or tablet are blocked on the Shield TV but not the Join messages coming from Home Assistant, specifically Node Red.

screenshot_2018_06_07_22_39_46.png screenshot_2018_06_07_22_38_29.png screenshot_2018_06_07_22_38_29.png screenshot_2018_06_07_22_33_36.png

8. joaomgcd

Oh, if you specify a title it'll show :) Use just the text not to show.

9. 3m0

3m0 New Member

Wow so simple but I never would have figured that out. I'm assuming the same would be true for icons then? Thank you it seems to be working for me now that I'm only sending the text

10. joaomgcd

Yep that's right :D The title creates a notification on phones, but since Android TV doesn't have notifications it creates toasts there.