Request for AutoLocation feature

Discussion in 'App/Feature Suggestion' started by steveO, Oct 30, 2015.

1. steveO

steveO New Member

I would like to be able to store features about a location with the location. The way I would suggest doing this is to add a text field to each geofence - call it 'Description', say, which could be made available in the same way other properties are - %aldescription. This would allow us to add notes to each geofence on an individual basis. The way in which I'd like to use this is to store parameters relating to the geofence WITH the geofence. For example, I want the audio set quiet at work, but normal most other places. I would use the text field to store key/value pairs in a JSON-like format which I can decode and apply on entering the geofence.
    I am currently doing just this, but storing the parameters in the geofence name, but this is VERY cumbersome.

What do you think?

Regards,

Steve

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Do you have AutoTools? :) If so, you can easily store stuff like that with the JSON Write action in a Tasker variable :) If not, you can still keep it in a tasker variable, it'll just be a bit more work

3. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Do you have AutoTools? :) If so, you can easily store stuff like that with the JSON Write action in a Tasker variable :) If not, you can still keep it in a tasker variable, it'll just be a bit more work

4. steveO

steveO New Member

Thanks for the reply.

From what I understand of autoTools it will allow me to easily encode my parameters to a string and similarly decode them. I can already do that in Tasker. What I would like to do is store those parameters with the geofence.

Consider setting up a new geofence:
    If I follow your suggestion I would go into autoLocation and position the geofence, provide it's extent and give it a name - let's say "Doctor'" I would then set up a new variable in Tasker, say %gfDoctor which contains a string in JSON-like format, for example "audio:silent,screen:dim". Another way of doing it would be to setup %gfDoctorAudio and %gfDoctorScreen, but that is even more messy.
    What I would like to be able to do is to just start autoLocation, set up my "Doctor" geofence and put the string "audio:silent,screen:dim" in the "Description" text field. All the details relating to the geofence are then held with the geofence and I don't need to set a new Tasker variable for each geofence (or at least each one that is non-standard).

As I said in my original post, I am already doing this by appending the parameter string to the name, which in the above case becomes, for example, "Doctor$audio:silent,screen:dim". This works fine, but is not very aesthetically pleasing. I like the principle of keeping all associated data in one place.

I suspect that other users might find alternative uses for such a text string associated with a geofence.

Just a thought,

Regards, Steve

5. lareya

lareya New Member

I agree that this is an excellent idea!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

6. Whatsappquotes

Whatsappquotes New Member

I was not clear to this auto location feature, please share me simple ways