Open Dismissed Notifications Dumped to Chrome Extension After Notification Device Turned On

Discussion in 'Join' started by Adam R, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Adam R

Adam R New Member

I have Tasker profiles set up for work and for home which include turning on Join notifications on the PC I use there with the Join chrome extension and turning them back off when I leave. I set this up both for privacy, since work notifications could potentially be monitored, and so that I don't have sounds and notifications at a location when I am not there.

I've noticed for at least 6 months (however it might have been since I first set up the Tasker profiles) an unexpected and annoying event that happens when I arrive at home or work, after the Tasker profile has turned on notifications for the local Chrome extension. As soon as I get one new notification, all notifications since my phone was last set to push notifications to that device, even those which were already dismissed, are pushed to the local Chrome extension. This both violates my privacy intent for setting up the notification settings Tasker profiles in the first place and requires me to dismiss a bunch of notifications I already dismissed on my phone. This happens both at home and at work daily.

I've tried resetting my chrome extensions and looking through all Join settings to see if something could prevent this but I couldn't find anything. This seems like it's likely a bug that needs fixed.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

I'm sorry, but that's a "feature" in Chrome. When you're logged out, Chrome will not show any notifications. When you log in, and you receive a new notification, all the "pending" ones that you didn't see while logged out will appear all at once. I agree that it's annoying but Chrome works that way unfortunately...

This seems to mean that the notifications are being sent to your PC when you don't want them to...

What do you think?

3. Adam R

Adam R New Member

Thanks for the reply João and thanks for your hard work on Join, Tasker, and Tasker plugins! I rely on them every day and I love using them.

I hope we're on the same page, but I want to be sure we are as I don't entirely understand what you mean. Are you saying android considers it a pending notification even after it has been dismissed and join uses that queue to forward those notifications upon the notification device change? Do you use some google notification API that behaves as you mention? It would just seems as though this might be something that join code could accommodate for otherwise.

My expectation with my setup would be that upon activating notifications for a device, join would immediately forward only those notifications which are currently visible in the notification panel on your android device. If your hands are tied on this issue, and there Join can't do this, is there a possible way to work around this "feature" to get my intended result with tasker and/or join settings?

4. joaomgcd

Sorry, what I meant is that Join is already sending the notifications to your PC while you're not using. Then Chrome simply shows them all when you get the first one (this is the chrome behaviour I mentioned).

5. Adam R

Adam R New Member

Thank you for the explanation. So would it be possible in any way to not send the notifications at all to the devices where notifications are turned off in the Join app? That would solve the problem as it is more of the expected outcome of the setting. If this would be better suited as a feature request I can create it as such on https://joaoapps.helprace.com/.

6. joaomgcd

Yes, the Tasker Join Settings action should allow you to do exactly that :) Maybe it's just not triggering when you think it is? Or triggering when it's not supposed to?

Can you please export your profile's description (not xml) so I can take a look? Long-click the profile in Tasker->export description Thanks in advance

7. Adam R

Adam R New Member

I would appreciate that so much! Thanks again for looking into this. Since it would probably be useful and I probably should have done this already, I'm going to try to remember to run a log over the next 24 hours to make sure my profiles and tasks actually get triggered when I expect them to.

Profile for when at work:

Profile: At Work (5)
    State: Variable Value [ %SILENT eq vibrate ]
    Day: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu or Fri
    Time: From 7:55AM Till 5:10PM
    State: Wifi Near [ SSID:TTUnet MAC:* Capabilities:* Min. Activate Signal Level:0 Channel:0 Toggle Wifi:Off ]
    Enter: Work Mode On (6)
    A1: Perform Task [ Name:Launch PIA Priority:%priority Parameter 1 (%par1): Parameter 2 (%par2): Return Value Variable: Stop:Off ]
    A2: Perform Task [ Name:Set Brightness Low Priority:%priority Parameter 1 (%par1): Parameter 2 (%par2): Return Value Variable: Stop:Off ]
    A3: Perform Task [ Name:Work Join Settings Priority:%priority Parameter 1 (%par1): Parameter 2 (%par2): Return Value Variable: Stop:Off ]
    A4: Media Volume [ Level:0 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A5: If [ %SCREEN eq off ]
    A6: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:5 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
    A7: Goto [ Type:Action Number Number:5 Label: ]
    A8: End If
    A9: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:1 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
    A10: Perform Task [ Name:Switch Launcher To LessPhone Priority:%priority Parameter 1 (%par1): Parameter 2 (%par2): Return Value Variable: Stop:Off ]

Exit: Work Mode Off (7)
    A1: Perform Task [ Name:Reset Auto Brightness Priority:%priority Parameter 1 (%par1): Parameter 2 (%par2): Return Value Variable: Stop:Off ]
    A2: Perform Task [ Name:Out And About Join Settings Priority:%priority Parameter 1 (%par1): Parameter 2 (%par2): Return Value Variable: Stop:Off ]
    A3: Perform Task [ Name:Stop PIA Priority:%priority Parameter 1 (%par1): Parameter 2 (%par2): Return Value Variable: Stop:Off ]
    A4: Media Volume [ Level:20 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A5: If [ %SCREEN eq off ]
    A6: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:5 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
    A7: Goto [ Type:Action Number Number:5 Label: ]
    A8: End If
    A9: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:1 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
    A10: Perform Task [ Name:Switch Launcher To Main Priority:%priority Parameter 1 (%par1): Parameter 2 (%par2): Return Value Variable: Stop:Off ]​

Profile for when at home:

Profile: Connected To Home Wifi (35)
    State: Wifi Connected [ SSID:THIS_IS_WIFI!/THIS_IS_5GHZ_WIFI! MAC:* IP:* Active:Yes ]
    Enter: Arrive Home Settings (49)
    A1: Perform Task [ Name:Turn On Home Only Profiles Priority:%priority Parameter 1 (%par1): Parameter 2 (%par2): Return Value Variable: Stop:Off ]
    A2: Perform Task [ Name:Home Join Settings Priority:%priority Parameter 1 (%par1): Parameter 2 (%par2): Return Value Variable: Stop:Off ]

Exit: Leave Home Settings (50)
    A1: Perform Task [ Name:Turn Off Home Only Profiles Priority:%priority Parameter 1 (%par1): Parameter 2 (%par2): Return Value Variable: Stop:Off ]
    A2: Perform Task [ Name:Out And About Join Settings Priority:%priority Parameter 1 (%par1): Parameter 2 (%par2): Return Value Variable: Stop:Off ]​

Since I launch other tasks via the tasks in the profiles, I'll include the relevant ones as well.

Updating Join settings when arriving at work:

Work Join Settings (20)
    A1: Join Settings [ Configuration:Enable Sending: Enable
    Devices Action: Set
    Notification Devices: Chrome Work
    Set Apps: No Action
    Notification Apps: com.google.android.apps.maps,com.mizmowireless.acctmgt,com.snapchat.android,com.twitter.android,com.facebook.katana,com.oneplus.account,com.instagram.android,com.google.android.apps.messaging,com.android.dialer,com.android.phone,com.android.mms,com.mizmowireless.vvm,com.discoverfinancial.mobile,com.microsoft.xboxone.smartglass,com.google.android.apps.googlevoice,com.google.android.gm,com.android.incallui,com.google.android.apps.docs,com.google.android.youtube,com.utorrent.web,com.facebook.orca,com.google.android.calendar,com.meetup,com.reddit.frontpage Timeout (Seconds):60 ]​

Updating Join settings when leaving work or leaving home (called by Leave Home Settings and Work Mode Off):

Out And About Join Settings (52)
    A1: Join Settings [ Configuration:Enable Sending: Disable
    Devices Action: Set Timeout (Seconds):60 ]​

Updating settings for arriving at home:

Arrive Home Settings (49)
    A1: Perform Task [ Name:Turn On Home Only Profiles Priority:%priority Parameter 1 (%par1): Parameter 2 (%par2): Return Value Variable: Stop:Off ]
    A2: Perform Task [ Name:Home Join Settings Priority:%priority Parameter 1 (%par1): Parameter 2 (%par2): Return Value Variable: Stop:Off ]​

Updating Join settings when arriving at home (called by Arrive Home Settings):

Home Join Settings (51)
    A1: Join Settings [ Configuration:Enable Sending: Enable
    Devices Action: Set
    Notification Devices: Chrome Home,Chromebook Timeout (Seconds):60 ]​

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  8. joaomgcd

Thanks! :) Maybe you can add a notification action at the end of the Out And About Join Settings and Work Join Settings tasks so that you know that the actions are actually running when you think they are :) Thanks in advance.

9. Adam R

Adam R New Member

I ran the log for two days and it looks like profiles were triggered appropriately and tasks ran successfully within the past 24 hours. Still I am seeing this morning that some notifications showed up on join devices during times when join should be set for that not to happen. If it isn't already assumed, I did not manually change any Join notification settings during the past two days when I was running the log.

Example 1: A notification shows on my work join chrome extension with a timestamp of 18:19 yesterday after Out And About Join Settings had run at 17:11 and Home Join Settings had run at 18:02. At that point, there definitely shouldn't have been any notifications sent to my work computer.

Example 2: A notification shows on my home join chrome extension with a timestamp of 17:10 when Work Join Settings was the last run task updating Join notification settings at 08:33 and Out And About Join Settings, which also has my home join notifications disabled, didn't run until a minute later at 17:11.

While I notice that there are plenty of notifications that didn't get through to devices they shouldn't have, there are still some that did get through and shouldn't have. To me, this would seem to be a Join bug.

If you wanted to see a copy of my Tasker Run Log, here it is https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qXhT7t4NYoneeErSPub6V01-CWpdAuKr/view

10. joaomgcd

Thanks for the report and help to try figuring this out! Can you please check if when those profiles are active, the settings within the Join app match what you would expect?

11. Adam R

Adam R New Member

No problem, I love your products and want them to work perfectly for everyone. I'm a developer too so I understand how hard it is to figure out bugs by yourself.

Yes, I'll keep a close eye on it. However, I've checked many times before since this started happening months ago and every time I have seen that Join notification settings are exactly as they should be at that time of day or in that location.

Currently while at work, they're set as I would expect:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/q0lKJeI

These are my current notification advanced settings:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/igQJTDA

In notification advanced settings, I have wifis set to both my home wifi networks and my work network, but as far as I understood, these don't matter if Wifi Only is switched off and couldn't cause my issues even if my understanding is wrong.

12. joaomgcd

Yes, it all looks good to me... Can you please check when you're away from work if the device is unchecked? Thank you for understanding the process :)

13. Adam R

Adam R New Member

So I gave it a bit and every time I checked my Join notification devices, they were set correctly, be it at home, at work or neither. Still, I am getting some notifications showing on devices that shouldn't be getting them at that time. Arriving at work, I am seeing 6 notifications from yesterday here when notifications for my work join chrome extension were turned off the whole time. I was able to confirm this in my Tasker log. These notifications are from times when there while two separate join notification configurations were set, Out And About Join Settings and Out And About Join Settings (referenced in an earlier post on this thread). Assuming my join configurations are correct, it would definitely seem like there is a bug.

14. joaomgcd

Ok, I think I got something! Can you please try out this version of the app and see if that fixes it? Thanks!

15. Adam R

Adam R New Member

That's great! I've installed it and I'll monitor to see if it makes a difference. Thank you!

16. Adam R

Adam R New Member

Already it looks like the change hasn't fixed the problem. I installed the APK right before my last post at 9:53AM and I checked at that point to make sure join notification devices were still set correctly for work and they were. At 10:20AM, I then received a notification both at home and at work.

Update: I received additional SMS notifications at 12:01PM and 12:30PM on both devices as well while at both times, join was set to only send notifications to my work device.

I noticed also that when I perform a notification refresh in the chrome extension, notifications are pulled from my phone even when notifications are turned off for that device. Is that result intended for?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  17. joaomgcd

Yes, refreshing will always get all existing notifications, that's normal.

But wait, SMS messages are not covered by the notification setting! That's a different setting! Did you check that? Sorry if it can be confusing.

Also, I cannot get over the expression on your avatar :p Always seems like you're disgusted at the situation... :D

18. Adam R

Adam R New Member

Refreshing being that way is understandable, thanks for the confirmation.
    SMSs not being covered now makes sense why those are what I've been getting when I'm not supposed to. Yes, it is a little confusing. I see now where the settings are I want so thank you! I made the assumption based on my SMS apps being included in the notification apps list and because this functionality works for all other apps. Sorry to scare you with a bug and thanks for figuring out my issue!

I might be the only one who missed this but I'd suggest adding some language to the notification settings pages indicating SMS and call notifications aren't included for people like me who might get confused. I guess the other possibility is moving the SMS notification settings out of the blocked devices and instead depend on the Notification Devices and Notification Apps settings but that could be a lot more work and I imagine some people might depend on the existing functionality. I'm a bigger fan of the whitelist approach than a blacklist approach though for when adding new join devices.

Oh and my avatar, haha, it was just something I had in my collection. It cracks me up whenever I see it :D