Open SMS not working with nexus 5

Discussion in 'Join' started by ilostmikeys, Dec 8, 2015.

1. ilostmikeys

ilostmikeys New Member

So I just downloaded Join and tried to load the browser SMS client but it doesn't ever want to load for me on my Nexus 5.

Has anyone else got it working on theirs?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi thanks for the report.

Can you let me know when you try it? What shows up on the screen exactly? thanks!

3. Stefano

Stefano New Member

Hi, I have the same problem with my LG G3 with 4.4.2. When I open chrome extension and click on SMS a little window pop-up with a coloured circle inside; the circle is just rotating changing the colours forever. Nothing else appears. Thanks

4. joaomgcd

@Stefano did you already install yesterday's update from Google Play? Also, does any notification show up on your phone with an error when you access the SMS window?

5. legionfalls

legionfalls New Member

same problem as listed in my separate thread except with my HTC One M8

6. Adrian Amoroso

Adrian Amoroso New Member

Doesn't work with my Nexus 5 either. I just get a spinning 'wait' wheel. Copy and paste doesn't work either.

7. joaomgcd

can you do this please: in the SMS window in chrome, right click it and select "Inspect". In the new window click the "Console" tab. Does it show any messages there?

8. Stefano

Stefano New Member

Hi,
    Nope, nothing happens on my phone. It keeps sleeping... even if I switch the screen on.
    This is the error from the chrome console:

"Uncaught NotSupportedError: Failed to execute 'registerElement' on 'Document': Registration failed for type 'sms-messenger'. A type with that name is already registered.
    content.js:4 contextmenu=[object HTMLDivElement]"

Please let me know if I can help you in anyway.

Another question: my tablet is 4g (note 12.2 pro) with a SIM inside and it is able to send texts: why I cannot see the text option in the chrome extension?

Thank you

9. joaomgcd

I'll update the app today. Can you please check if you still get issues after the update? thanks very much!

10. Stefano

Stefano New Member

Hi,
    perfect now it is working. Sometimes it cannot update the status after the sending (if the text was sent or not) but the text is always sent. I think you updated the chrome extension as well? Cause now I cannot see one of my devices (I have in order: smartphone, chrome, chrome and tablet). The tablet is out of the window (at the bottom and the scroll doesn't let me to reach the options; I can just read the name of the device).

Thank you

11. mswvienna

mswvienna New Member

Hi,
    just "joined" join and very excited about the development. Copy/Paste works perfectly, but I'm not receiving notifications on my pc with the chrome extension and sms isn't working at all. When I select sms a window opens and then shows "retry" in the top left hand corner. Several errors (13 in all) in the chrome console. Can you help?

Nexus 5 (Android 6.1.)

12. joaomgcd

@Stefano can you show me a screenshot of how that looks?
    @mswvienna can you push other stuff to your PC like a webpage for example? Does that work? Also, can you please post the chrome console logs here? thanks

13. mswvienna

mswvienna New Member

Hi joaomgcd,
    I managed to get the sms window working (I had an adblocker still active - sorry!). The pushes (e.g. webpages) work to and from pc/android, and I am receiving a notification for these as well as the link automatically opening on both pc/android.

I'm still not receiving notifications when an sms has been sent. I have to open the sms window to see if the message which I sent myself from another phone had arrived.

14. joaomgcd

Yes, that's not implemented yet :) Glad the rest is working

15. Big John

Big John New Member

my says:

drivefilechecker.js:72 Drive file didn't update yet: sms=:=b5
    drivefilechecker.js:23 Giving up on file: sms=:=

16. JED

JED New Member

I'm running into something similar with a Nexus 6P -- I noticed at first numerous directories on my Google account with different names for the same device (with and without the manufacturer) and multiple 'SMS Files' and 'SMS files' (differences in case) directories. I've cleaned everything out and started from scratch a couple of times but keep ending at the same repeating message in the console:

File not found yet: contacts=:=f3f8a2c815a8....

The only thing that has changed before and after starting from scratch is the file name. I can verify all tests are successful and can manually find the file within Google Drive.

17. joaomgcd

@JED unfortunately when you delete the folders the Android Google Drive API takes a bit to realize that and will fail. Make sure you delete the folders (even from the trash) and then wait like 1 hour and try again to enable the SMS service from your phone.

18. JED

JED New Member

Thanks, I removed and discarded the entire directory from the trash, waited 3 hours and gave it another try. Same results. It looks for the contact file name which does appear in the SMS files directory. Are there other debug steps I can take?

19. joaomgcd

But it should look there. Are you saying that it's not finding when it's looking?

20. JED

JED New Member

Yes, all tests pass both on the phone and the browser - when I look at the console of the inspect, the filename it is searching for matches the filename within the "SMS Files" directory but drivefilechecker.js fails and ultimately falls back to the checks every 60 seconds. Within the browser, I have multiple Google accounts and the default is different than the one Join is using. This should not matter, right? I didn't know if there was additional debugging I could do.

: nexus5, sms