AutoRemote AutoRemote refuses to accept local Wifi commands

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by aa6vh, Dec 16, 2018.

1. aa6vh

aa6vh New Member

I am using a couple of Samsung tablets for my home automation, and I am using AutoRemote for additional control, sending commands through local Wifi. When the tablet has sat quiet for some time, sometimes AutoRemote will fail to receive the command, with the sender reporting the error "Connection refused".

I know that the AutoRemote checkbox allowing WiFi reception needs to be set after a reboot. I suspect that it also needs to be set back on whenever AutoRemote is closed by the OS.

My suspicion is that Android is closing AutoRemote during that long quiet period. I have set the Android settings like they should be (such as turning off Battery Optimization for AutoRemote and Tasker).

My detour has been to send a command via the WAN (i.e. the Autoremote web site) to wake up the tablet, and to set that checkbox back on. After the WAN command is received and the checkbox enabled, local Wifi will start working again.

A possible fix might be to do the same thing AutoInput can do, which is to have a Notification raised that would keep AutoRemote alive. Thoughts?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

3. aa6vh

aa6vh New Member

Thanks. I did that already (see my third paragraph).

4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

I saw that, but are you sure you took all the measures needed for your specific device?

5. aa6vh

aa6vh New Member

I sure hope I did everything, as it does look like Android is killing the AutoRemote app, for some reason. I do not seem to have a problem with AutoInput or Tasker shutting down though. I will admit that I do not have the "Run in foreground" Tasker option set, as I raise my own Tasker "permament" notification that should do the same thing (and appears to, at least with Tasker).

This might be due to a problem with the Android OS itself. Like I said before, it only happens when the tablet has been undisturbed for awhile (either the screen turned off, or in the "Daydream" state running a Daydream screen saver clock app). AutoRemote is not totally shut down (perhaps shut down and then restarted?), as AutoRemote will still accept messages from the WAN.

Question: AutoInput has the capability ("Accessability in Foreground") to have AutoInput raise a notification so as to prevent it's termination in some cases. Could that reason apply also to AutoRemote?

: autoremote