Some Join Feature Suggestions

Discussion in 'App/Feature Suggestion' started by Thatuserguy, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Thatuserguy

Thatuserguy New Member

Recently converted to Join from Pushbullet. I like it much more than Pushbullet (especially considering Join's notification mirroring actually functions correctly). That said, there's a few things I'd love to see if possible. I'm fairly new to Join, so I don't know if these things are already possible or not, so if they already are, I'd love to hear how to set them up.
    • Remote actions without waking the screen. I'm able to trigger notification actions without waking the screen using AutoNotification, and would love this functionality with Join, as I don't see any real reason for it to turn the screen on. Right now, marking Google Reminders/Microsoft To-Do Reminders as complete or reacting to AutoNotification notifications, for example, turns on the screen for whatever reason.

• Option to auto-dismiss a notification everywhere after the mirrored notification is clicked on another device. For example, I have it set to open my Gmail Inbox in Chrome on my PC when I click the mirrored notification for a new Gmail message. Since I'm looking at the message on my PC, there's no need for the notification to stick around everywhere.

• In a similar vein to the above, dynamic URLs for clicking notifications on PC. In other words, if I get a notification that tells me someone I follow on Twitch just went live, I can click it on my PC and it will open that individual's channel in my desktop Chrome. Or maybe a Gmail notification can be clicked and send me to that specific email in Chrome. It seems this can already be achieved with shareable content by opening it on my phone and then sharing back to Join, but I'd like a more direct method if possible that also works with content that isn't normally shareable (like Gmail).

• Notification sounds through Chrome using Google Drive. I don't know if this is a limitation of how things work or not, but if possible, it would be nice if a sound file uploaded and accessible from your personal Drive could be used in place of a publicly accessible URL to a sound file, as a sound file hosted in your Google Drive is far easier to come across than a publicly accessible URL of the exact sound file you want.
    Again, not sure if these are feasible, or if they're actually already possible and I don't know how to get them working, but I'd love to see these features at some point in the future if they're not currently possible to set up. Thanks!

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi there! :) Glad you like Join!!
    1. Please send me the apps where this works with the screen off. The reason why it wakes the screen is that many app's notification actions don't work with the screen off. I then whitelist apps that do :)
    2. Is the notification not dismissed on your PC when you click it?
    3. Unfortunately notifications don't have this info in them, so I can't do that. Sorry!
    4. You can actually very easily get a public link for a file. Check it out here!
    Hope this helps!

3. Thatuserguy

Thatuserguy New Member

1. The big ones I've noticed and tested are Reminders through the Google app, and Microsoft's To-Do app Reminders. I've successfully used AutoNotification's %anbutton1action and %anbutton2action actions with the screen off using both of these apps, at least for their reminders notifications. I haven't extensively tested triggering custom button actions on custom notifications made through AutoNotification, but with some brief testing it appears to work with the screen off as well using the %anbutton1action AutoNotification action. I'm not sure if the method is different between Join and AutoNotification that this would change things, but if not, it seems all of these should work through Join as well with the screen off. These are just the ones I've tested and tend to use a bit.
    2. It doesn't seem to be from what I've tested. Granted, I have enabled the Chrome flag that sends notifications through the Windows 10 notification center, so I don't know if that's maybe part of the problem. I'll turn that off later tonight and see if it affects functionality at all.
    3. Ah well, worth a shot to mention!
    4. I had no idea about this, so thanks!
    Thanks for the response!

4. Thatuserguy

Thatuserguy New Member

Okay so I messed around with the notifications not disappearing issue. It seems to be related to notifications that are tied to websites through the Join settings. Notifications that aren't tied to a website, when clicked, will auto-dismiss everywhere. But if tied to a website, it will not dismiss anywhere. I had IFTTT send me a notification a few times without being tied to a website. Every time I clicked it, it opened on my phone and was dismissed everywhere. When I then tied it to a website and tried clicking the same notification, it opened the website on my PC and didn't dismiss itself anywhere.

Also noting I found another "bug" while testing this. Under the App Websites setting, if you ever associate an app with a website, it saves it and stays associated, even if you delete the entry from the App Websites box. I deleted the entry associating IFTTT notifications to a specific website, and yet clicking on them still opened that website. Adding it back and changing the website saves that new website association, even if that too is then deleted again. The only way it seems to regain standard functionality of opening it on your phone instead of a website on your PC is to add it back, and then leave the website associated with the app blank (ex. "com.ifttt.ifttt": "",). You can then safely delete it and leave it not opening a website.

Speaking of which, if possible, it would be cool if you could choose whether clicking the notification on your PC opens it on your phone or opens the associated website on your PC instead of only one or the other. Though as is, I've already suggested a fair amount of features, so understand if it's not something else you want to throw on the list!

5. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Oh wait, I've got it wrong! Clicking notifications doesn't turn on the screen by default! I have to whitelist apps to make the screen turn on for them! That means that those apps themselves are turning on the screen, not Join :)

About the new feature requests, can you add that request here so I can give it proper priority? https://joaoapps.helprace.com/ Thanks!

About the bugs, I'll add them to my todo list :) Thank you very much for reporting!

6. Thatuserguy

Thatuserguy New Member

Sure, I'll take care of the feature suggestions when I get the chance!

As for the whitelisting thing, is there any reason AutoNotification can perform actions with the screen off, but Join can't with the exact same apps? And can you think of any workarounds that can use AutoNotification to do those actions without turning the screen on? Not that big of a deal, but would be cool if I can get something working so it doesn't have to turn the screen on.

Also, since I got you, I think I also noticed another bug last night with the refresh button in the Chrome extension. The refresh button seems to mirror all notifications currently on your phone, and ignores your settings for it. I have mirroring of persistent notifications off and didn't have Spotify selected as an app to mirror within the app settings. However after hitting the refresh button with a Spotify notification and a persistent notification of an app downloading from the play store, both were mirrored into the extension.

Anyways, thanks for your help!

7. soumyaranjanmahunt

soumyaranjanmahunt Member

Offline sharing will be good to have.

Oneplus 5 Stock OOS