Open Not getting texts from ONE contact

Discussion in 'Join' started by ChuckN, Jan 30, 2019.

1. ChuckN

ChuckN New Member

Hi all,

Has anyone experienced not receiving any texts from one particular contact? The contact in question happens to be my wife.

Here's what I know -
    • I am running the app on my Android phone, Windows 10 desktop PC and Windows 10 laptop. All three devices are running the most up to date version of software.
    • Her phone is also up to date with the latest Android software.
    • We both have LG V30 phones.
    • I've removed and reinstalled the Join app (and all associated files) 3 or 4 times trying to fix this.

Here's what happens -
    • My wife will send me a text. I receive it on my phone, but nothing is in the app.
    • I can reply via the app (on my laptop OR desktop) and she receives the reply just fine.
    • If I reply from my phone, my reply shows up on the app and she receives the reply.
    • If my wife is part of a group text, everything works just fine. (Other than not being able to tell who in the group has sent the text.)
    Thinking something weird is going on with our contact data (using Google/Gmail) I've deleted my wife as a contact and she has deleted me as a contact - we rebooted phones, re-created our contact info and still nothing.

I text constantly and she is the only one where I am having this issue.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what may be causing this?

Thanks! :)

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

That's very strange and I have unfortunately never came across something like that myself. When you receive an SMS from her ,can you see anything in the Join logs in the Android app?

3. ChuckN

ChuckN New Member

Thanks for getting back to me. :)

If I'm looking at this correctly - I had my wife send a test and while it registered on my phone, nothing came through on the Join log in my phone. I checked under every category - SMS, MMS, Push, etc.

It's almost like there is something disconnected or blocking it...

4. joaomgcd

Very weird! You should get a bunch of logs! That means that for some reason Join is not even getting the SMS... Are you sure it's really an SMS and not some other form of communication, like RCS?

5. ChuckN

ChuckN New Member

When I said nothing, I meant nothing from HER number. Just want to make sure I'm clear on that. Unless I'm not looking in the right spot... But for example, my friend sent me a text that is a link to something on the web. His text generated 6 or 7 log entries and it came through on Join with no problem.

Her phone and mine are set the exact same way using SMS. There has to be something different, but I just don't know where to look...

6. joaomgcd

Does she maybe have "enhanced messaging" enabled or something similar?

7. ChuckN

ChuckN New Member

Nope, we just sat together and went through our settings one by one and both phones are set up identically.

There was one text that showed up the other day from her (not in real time though), but I can't get back that far in the logs to see it. It seems my logs on the app only show back a short time period. Is there another place the logs are stored?

8. joaomgcd

If you send a text to yourself, does it show up in Join?

Unfortunately older logs are deleted, sorry!

9. ChuckN

ChuckN New Member

Yes, it shows up in Join when I text myself. There are 7 SMS log entries for my text.

Oh, ok. Bummer...I thought that might give us more clues.

10. joaomgcd

What phone is she using?

11. ChuckN

ChuckN New Member

We both use LG V30.

The latest is - I am now RANDOMLY getting texts from her...and most of the time, it's not in real time, but appears the next time I go into the desktop app. I'm running the app on the latest version of Chrome on a Windows 10 machine.

12. Thatuserguy

Thatuserguy New Member

What network is your V30 configured for, and what are you using it on? I know my T-Mobile V30 does not have an option to disable Advanced Messaging (RCS), and will automatically force it over normal SMS if both phones support RCS and are on the same network.

I wouldn't be surprised if she's just the only one of your contacts that is on the same network and has a phone with RCS support. While normal SMS is definitely supported by Join, I'm not fully aware if RCS is, which might explain why you're only having trouble with her. I also believe that when connection is poor on the V30, messages are sent as SMS rather than RCS, which might explain the sporadic nature of seeing her messages sometimes, and not others.

On my V30, I get message notification popups through the chrome extension that I can dismiss or reply to from the extension, whether RCS or SMS. I can also send messages through the extension that automatically go through as SMS or RCS, depending on the contact. However, anything sent or received as RCS doesn't appear to be listed in my Message History. It was the same way with Pushbullet before I made the switch to Join. I'm guessing that's what's going on here, unless I'm misunderstanding the problem.

If that is the problem, I don't think there's anything that can be done about it until the RCS API is made public.

13. ChuckN

ChuckN New Member

I'm not sure I follow you 100%, but my wife and I have the same phone (LG V30) and are both on T-Mobile - same as you.

As you said here, I experience the same - as long as it's not coming from my wife. LOL!
    "On my V30, I get message notification popups through the chrome extension that I can dismiss or reply to from the extension..."​

Since you have a V30, could you post some screen shots of the things you asked about such as "what network" and "What are you using it on?". I see nothing in the V30 about RCS and don't know know how to tell how messages are coming or going (MMS, SMS, RCS...).

Thanks for your reply - sorry it took me a bit to get back to you.

14. Thatuserguy

Thatuserguy New Member

Sorry for the late response. Didn't get a notification that you replied! An easy way to check is in your messaging app, check for checkmarks next to the messages you send. RCS Messaging has read receipts and sent receipts. So like a gray checkmark if it's been received, and a blue checkmark if it's been seen (assuming the other person has enabled sending read receipts). Normal, non-RCS does not have these checkmarks. So if you see those checkmarks, it's being sent as RCS. If not, it's not. Here's an example of what it looks like.

Again, RCS is not something you control. It's entirely forced by the phone if both support it and are on the same network (T-Mobile, AT&T, etc.). If you don't see those blue checkmarks from the messages that aren't showing up, then that would probably indicate it's something else going on, and I would try and get in touch with joaomgcd again.