AutoRemote Google assistant api's and autoremote

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Pete_Repeat, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

So at the moment I use ifttt to setup google assistant commands to trigger autoremote/tasker to carry out tasks. It works OK although specific words are required which is ok as each ifttt recipe has 3 ways to trigger the recipe.

I have read about the various api for Google assiatnt as I was hoping that I might be able to do away with ifttt (it has caused a few problems and can be slow at times) as the middle man.. I don't see anywhere that it can be setup to directly do a webhook (http post?) to autoremote.

I think if this was possible for Google assistant to directly do http post or get then this would be easy to find.

This is a hobby and not something I am strong in so I'm reaching out here for suggestions of the best way to link my google home to tasker, hoping that things have changed since I begun using ifttt as the middleman.

2. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

I believe I could use autovoice, but this still requires "ok google, ask autovoice" I assume.

Makes me wonder that even if the Google assistant api allow the http post to happen, would I still need to do "ok google, ask ###" command anyway? Or if I don't publish and just use it on my local account woukd I get away without the extra words... The great thing about ifttt in the middle was not having to do the extra words.

Maybe I need to consider those extra words to remove ifttt from the solution.

3. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, you either use IFTTT or use AutoVoice. More info here.

Pete_Repeat likes this.
  4. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

Thanks for the reply. Was hoping things may have changed since I begin using google assist at home avout 2 years ago..

Maybe my focus should go on why the ifttt commands don't always work for my wife.

5. Ceetch

Ceetch New Member

You can use Google Assistant Routines to bypass the "ask AutoVoice", set your intended command to trigger the routine and then have the routine say "ask AutoVoice _____". You'll still get the response "Ok, let's get AutoVoice..." before your response, but it works.

Pete_Repeat likes this.
  6. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

Good idea. So are there any limits on the amount/number of routines google has? I would likely make around 60 of them for the 20 commands we use at home, and three variations of each.

The Autovoice commands are not linked to the single user either are they? So another user, or even someone whom is a guest, can active my autovoice commands and their routines?

I have used routines to override certain commands that sometimes get misinterpreted but not used much of autovoice at all.

7. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

Ok it seems the limit won't be problem as multi ways to say the same command is easily implemented in Google home routines.

Seems multiple users can be added as well. I think... Little early to be confident as I've only tried my partners voice a few times with some success (google ignored her a few times but may be the Google home microphone). Seems I had to add my Android box in autovoice for both myself and my wife. I think that meant that both accounts are activated on the Android box at once now.

I know this isn't a new thing as I knew about autovoice a while back (I've been using a whole lot of the autoapps though) but I'll report back in case someone else reads this who is new to the game.