Tasker AutoSilence from Calendar

Discussion in 'Guides / Examples / Ideas Forum' started by Patrick Doherty, May 17, 2019.

1. Patrick Doherty

Patrick Doherty New Member

Hi all, I've been looking for an app or setting that will do what I used to be able to do naively in my windows phone but the only app that seemed to do this very well has recently been updated and seems to not work any more so I thought I'd have a look at tasker. I've fallen at the first hurdle.

For my calendar I use Outlook (I also replicate my calendar events to google so could use that if needed) and I'd like my phone to go to silent during meetings. Has anyone done this or could anyone point me in the right direction to get this started?

Thanks

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Try creating a profile with the Calendar condition and then in the task use the Do Not Disturb action :)

3. Patrick Doherty

And how do I do that? New profile - Application - Calendar?

4. Robert B

Robert B New Member

New Profile>Event>App>Calendar Entry

If you leave all the fields blank in that action , it will match any calendar entry you have in any calendar you have. If you only want to match certain events, then the title field needs to match the name of your calendar entry. When you are adding the profile event or adding actions the icon at the top right of Tasker with the question mark or the i usually has some pretty good information as to how to set up the fields also.

Here's an example profile.
    Profile: Calendar Event (350)
    State: Calendar Entry [ Title:* Location:* Description:* Available:Any Calendar:* ]
    Enter: Anon (351)
    A1: Do Not Disturb [ Mode:No Interruptions ]

Exit: Anon (352)
    A1: Do Not Disturb [ Mode:Allow All ]

5. joaomgcd

6. Patrick Doherty

Thanks for this and sorry if I'm being stupid, but when I create a new profile, select Event, I don't see an App option. Am I missing something?

7. Robert B

Robert B New Member

It's the very top option. Maybe you have to scroll the menu to see it?

Attached Files:

8. Patrick Doherty

This is the list I get with Date/Time at the top, no sign of "App"

Regards

Attached Files:

9. Robert B

Robert B New Member

Hmm... you might check under Android Settings>Apps>Tasker>Permissions and make sure Tasker has all of the permissions set on. I would make sure Storage permission is on but I'm not sure that would make a difference on this or not

10. joaomgcd

It's under State, not event :)

11. Robert B

Robert B New Member

Oh yes it is .. Sorry

12. joaomgcd

No problem, thanks for helping!!

13. Patrick Doherty

Hi all, i eventually manged to get back to this and have created a profile which puts my phone on silent when in a meeting and back to normal afterwards (didn't use DND as still wanted it to vibrate), so thanks for all the help.

So I've decided to try and enhance this a little bit and wanted to do a specific vibrate patterns at the start and end. I know how to add this, but was wondering if anyone could advise on what the numbers would be for something like 5 short vibrations, but with a 1 second gap between them. if I use something like 50,50,50,50,50 - it just comes across as one long vibrate, but can't seem to get the pauses in place.

Also, is it possible to do the vibration without a Tasker Notification appearing?

Thanks

14. Adam Lopresto

Adam Lopresto New Member

The action you're looking for is "Vibrate Pattern" under the Alert section. Try something like

All numbers in miliseconds. First is how long to wait before the first vibration (0 ms = instant), second is how long to vibrate the first time (50 ms = really short; I usually use 100-300 ms), then how long to wait before the next vibration (1000 ms=1 second), then on and off times alternating.

15. joaomgcd

That reminds me: I should add a helper for vibration patterns so they can easily be created :)

16. endrus

endrus New Member

How to do Calendar Title / Description matching. (%CALTITLE, %CALDESCR)
    If your goal is matching any or either keyword(s) {#silent, #mute, #quiet or #vibrate} along with other content in the Event title or description field.

What does not work: Profile => State => Calendar / Description only does exact match, e.g., %CALDESCR ~ #silent. Any extra text in the Calendar event field would result a mismatch. Adding extra notes, agendas etc to Events breaks the match.

SOLUTION: Variable Set %MUTEWORDS to (#mute)|(#quiet)|(#silent)|(#vibrate)
    Then Calendar Entry + Variable matching with Regex.
    This should work with any text field.

Hope you find it useful.

P.S. The attached project file is not a polished final work, just a quick sample!

Attached Files:

: Calendar, volume