Solved Switch to open window in Chrome (OS)

Discussion in 'Join' started by S3basuchian, Jun 1, 2019.

1. S3basuchian

S3basuchian New Member

Hello there,
    First things first: I absolutely love your application. My only gripe is that when I receive a notification in Chrome (OS) and click on it Join won't bring the assigned window in foreground (when it is opened in a separate webapp window). However it does work when the application is only opened in a tab. It would be extremely useful if your app would also be able to bring the webapp in foreground.

For example:
    1. I have Telegram open in a tab
    2. I receive a Telegram message via Join
    3. I click on the message and the Telegram Tab is focused

but:
    1. I have Telegram open in a separate window (installed as PWA)
    2. I receive a Telegram message via Join
    3. I click on the message but nothing happens

It would be highly appreciated if you could add this feature. I know it's possible, because other extensions (like Gmail Checker Plus) also do this.

PS.: Would it be possible to sync Chrome OS native notifications in such a way that if I dismiss them Join also dismisses them on all other devices? This would be another huge advantage!

I've already bought Join but if you could add these two features Join would be really perfect for me and I would be willing to spend more money if this would help you implement these features.

Thanks,
    Sebastian

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

So, to clarify, all you'd need would be for the window where the new tab opened to be brought to the foreground?

S3basuchian likes this.
  3. S3basuchian

S3basuchian New Member

Exactly! I'll give you an example of what I mean: I have WhatsApp open in window 1 with no other tab open. In another window 2 i have multiple google docs open which I work on.
    Window 1 is minimized, Window 2 is open and fullscreen.
    Now a WhatsApp Message comes in and Join shows me the message on my Chromebook as native notification.
    When I click on that notification I would like window 1 to be brought to foreground. This doesn't work currently.

The second topic, but far less important, would be that the native "dismiss all" notifications button of Chrome OS not only dismisses Join notifications on the Chromebook itself but also on any other devices.

Like I've said I would be willing to pay an extra fee for these features and if you don't want to price them beforehand I will still donate to you if you could implement them.

Join has become the top #1 app for my workflow and I really appreciate your work!

Edit:
    + I should also mention that it would be super cool if we could decide that clicked notifications should open a new window (possibly the PWA version) and not a new tab

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  4. joaomgcd

Ok, I've updated the Chrome extension to make it behave like that :) Let me know how it works!

S3basuchian likes this.
  5. S3basuchian

S3basuchian New Member

I have just tried it: It now works perfectly fine with WhatsApp, bud sadly only with WhatsApp. Telegram, Gmail and others still don't switch to the already open window, instead they now open a complete new tab? Do you have any idea why this could be the case? I have tried with different web addresses and have double checked that the ones saved in Join are the correct ones that are already open, but Join seems to ignore these open windows in contrast to the WhatsApp one.

6. joaomgcd

Hi there. I just tried it and if the URLs match exactly they all seem to work for me. Can you give me an example of a URL that is not working for you? :) Thanks in advance.

7. S3basuchian

S3basuchian New Member

Yeah sure, thanks for the quick reply!
    So these are the addresses that are currently saved in Join:
    "com.google.android.gm": "https://mail.google.com/",
    "com.whatsapp": "https://web.whatsapp.com/",
    "org.telegram.messenger": "https://web.telegram.org/",

Like I mentioned WhatsApp works perfectly fine, but Telegram and Gmail don't. I've made a short video to show you the problem:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LOaPLikvRhSp3Mc8xqBgF1qFFv3FfxH4/view?usp=sharing

You can see that I have the windows open, but Join still opens new Tabs.

Thanks again,
    Sebastian

8. joaomgcd

9. S3basuchian

S3basuchian New Member

Thanks for the reply, I've solved the problem by setting the gmail URL to https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox
    Unfortunately Telegrams URL always changes, I guess there is no way for me to work around that issue?

10. joaomgcd

Can you give me an example of a Telegram URL? Maybe I can make it just ignore whatever is after the # character :)

11. joaomgcd

Ok, I published an update with that change. Now if the URL matches the open one while removing # and everything after it, it'll switch to that one :)

S3basuchian likes this.
  12. S3basuchian

S3basuchian New Member

Superb! Thanks!

13. joaomgcd

No problem! Hope you're enjoying it!