Open (Disable?) Encryption between shared devices

Discussion in 'Join' started by tuur, Jul 1, 2019.

1. tuur

tuur New Member

Since there hasn't been an update on this after 3 years, I'd want to propose this idea again. I still can't encrypt my messages because I sometimes have to share my clipboard with a shared device.

It seems reasonable that messages should be readable when both devices have the same encryption key set whether or not they're shared. An even simpler solution to this would be to just disable encryption between shared devices.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

The problem is that the encryption is based on the user's email address. Until I change that somehow I can't get around it :(

3. tuur

tuur New Member

Isn't it possible to use the e-mail address of the other user when encrypting between shared devices? Or like I proposed, give us an option (or by default) to disable encryption between different email-addresses?

My current fix is to disable encryption on one set of devices, since I push mostly one-directionaly, so it seems devices can still receive unencrypted messages fine even if a encryption key is set.

4. joaomgcd

Yeah, not encrypting shared messages would be my best bet... Just have to make it perfectly clear in the app because otherwise people would get very upset...

5. tuur

tuur New Member

Yeah I'll admit that is a bit of a problem. How about having it as an option that isn't enabled by default in the Encryption screen?
    Perhaps even hide the setting until the user has any shared devices?
    How about this for a setting name and description:

Disable encryption between shared devices
    Encryption between your own devices will remain active. Currently there is no way to set an encryption key and push between shared devices.

6. joaomgcd

7. tuur

tuur New Member

8. joaomgcd

Thank you!