Solved Join and Private Internet Access VPN on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Join' started by Jorge Rhor, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Jorge Rhor

Jorge Rhor New Member

Hello.

I hope someone can help me.
    As noted on the title, I am trying to use Join on a Windows 10 machine and PIA VPN.
    Only when Data Encryption (AES-128 CBC) is enabled and Data Authentication is disabled I can receive notifications from Join on an Android phone.
    Data Authentication is what would block an active attacker to get between my machine and the VPN servers when information is being sent and received.

Is there any way to get Join to work properly with Data Authentication enabled (SHA1 or SHA256)?

Thank you.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately Join doesn't control that sorry! It's the Windows Push service that's receiving the notifications. Maybe you can try to find out if there's a way to have the Windows Push service working under those circumstances?

3. Jorge Rhor

Jorge Rhor New Member

Well, in case someone else is under the boat, here's my "fix":
    Instead of using the official PIA Application for Windows 10, I use OpenVPN to connect to PIA.
    The reason why I wanted to try a different client was so I can open a "Split Tunnel" hoping I will find a way to let connections from Join servers to get to my machine outside the VPN connection.

DyingJedi likes this.
  4. joaomgcd

Glad you got it! :)

5. riotwire

riotwire New Member

Just wanted to add that I had the same issue with WIndows 10 notifications behind a VPN. The notifications were being blocked with a timeout error. I'm using SurfShark and used the whitelist function to bypass the VPN for Join only. I'm back up and running. Not an ideal fix, but it does work.

Thanks to you guys for posting this!

6. joaomgcd

Glad it helped!

7. Felicityges

Felicityges New Member

You figured it out pretty nice, I think I would never find out a better solution than this. I guess, if I had the same problem, I would have been replaced the VPN with another one. I am always doing like this, it such situations and it works all the time. If you would like to see a good VPN provider list that I am using, you can check this website https://www.vpntesting.com/reviews/avast-secureline-vpn. They always refresh their list and includes very nice descriptions and many reviews about each.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020