Open Encryption issue

Discussion in 'Join' started by gwar9999, Oct 12, 2019.

1. gwar9999

gwar9999 New Member

Hey there,
    I had been using Join for awhile and recently re-installed my laptop (now running Ubuntu 18.04) and the Chrome extension. However, even inputting the correct encryption password it's just copying gibberish between my Pixel 3 (Android 10) and the 18.04 Chrome extension. If I use the diagnostic test on the Pixel 3 it transmits readable text to Chrome so presumably the passwords are indeed the same (which I believe they are since I copied and pasted to both from Lastpass and retried several times).

What works?
    Sending a page link from Chrome to Pixel 3
    Sending clipboard from Chrome to Pixel 3
    The Pixel 3 diagnostic test sends a plain-text "welcome" message to Chrome
    Pushing text from Pixel 3 Join App -> Devices -> Chrome after resetting encryption on both

What doesn't?
    Pushing text from Pixel 3 Join App -> Devices -> Chrome while encryption is set on both

I know Android 10 gimped the clipboard access so my main use of Join isn't what it used to be but I believe I should be able to send arbitrary text from Pixel 3 to Chrome via the Join-push functionality.

Thanks for any help.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi, thanks for the report. How exactly are you trying to send text from your phone to your PC? Can you please let me know step by step so I can reproduce it? Thanks!

3. gwar9999

gwar9999 New Member

Thanks for the reply and willingness to look into it. I'm using the Join app on Android 10, selecting one of the Chrome devices (Chrome - Ubuntu) and using the app to send a message to Chrome. And it shows up encrypted rather than the plain-text.

Screenshot_20191017-190120.png Screenshot_20191017-190112.png

4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

That seems to indicate that the Chrome encryption key is not set. Are you sure you set it?