AutoLocation Android Pie has caused issues with Geofence Monitoring

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by jir591, Sep 19, 2018.

1. mattress

mattress New Member

High accuracy and 3 second intervals.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Yes, that should be good. Maybe your phone simply can't get the location?

3. mattress

mattress New Member

It seems to work eventually.

I see the location services pin when the monitor starts, but it seems to take a long time to realize it's inside the geofence.

4. JamesInMontana

JamesInMontana New Member

Admin -- I really appreciate your comments and support, and development of your apps. I'm a fan and use them myself.

This whole background location limits thing from Google is frustrating. I had been using an old Nexus 6 phone for the last few years and just updated to the Pixel 4 (which I love, by the way.) Discovering these issues were related to something Google did really pisses me off. I was hoping I could turn on Developer Options on my phone and find a setting that would eliminate Android's background location limits checking. But I couldn't find any such option. I'm wondering if the phone was rooted, is there any configuration file or some other workaround which would disable their background location limit checks?

Alternatively, I was thinking maybe there would be a way to create a timer in Tasker which runs continuously, maybe every 10 or 15 seconds, and then if the condition is right (for me, it would be checking if a particular Tasker profile was active and/or the value of a variable I'd set) start the Location Monitor. After all, as soon as I manually start the Location Monitor my geofence reporting and associated triggers work just fine. This brings up two questions in my mind: First, can Tasker even have a timer that runs continuously and every 10 seconds performs an action? Second, if my phone is sitting idle would the Location Monitor being turned on programmatically by Tasker have any impact on alleviating Google's background location limits restriction?

Thanks for any input you may have!

5. joaomgcd

Hi. The restriction Google impose is related to scanning for wifi networks. I don't think checking for location is restricted as long as the app uses a foreground notification.

About your use case, you don't need to check every X seconds :) If you're simply looking for a variable change for example, create a new profile with the Variable Set event condition and that will trigger any time the variable changes.

Hope this helps!

6. JamesInMontana

JamesInMontana New Member

Okay, thanks. So maybe I'm chasing the wrong problem. One thing I'm pretty sure about though, is that the AutoLocation Location Monitor really helps with Geofencing. As long as it's on, things seem to work okay.

In examining my AutoLocation log files, I noticed this morning that one of my Tasker profiles appropriately turned on the Location Monitor based on my location. That's good. What isn't good, is that not even one second later the Location Monitor stops. I'm attaching a screenshot of the log file. Do you see anything which would indicate why?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

7. mattress

mattress New Member

Is there any way to maybe fix this with root or something? If it matters, I've since updated to Android 10. It's so frustrating not to have any workable presence with my smart home.

8. mattress

mattress New Member

Anyone? I really don't have any use for AutoApps without this. :(

9. joaomgcd

Sorry, but have you tried use the AutoLocation Location monitor to help the geofences out?

10. mattress

mattress New Member

Yes

11. joaomgcd

Did you configure it to be high precision?

12. mattress

mattress New Member

13. mattress

mattress New Member

Has there been a change somewhere since this comment?

14. joaomgcd

Can you please share how you configured the location monitor so I can check if it looks ok?