AutoVoice AV with Google Now, or Assistant...whatever it is now...can't get it to work

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by 56_kruiser, Dec 16, 2019.

1. 56_kruiser

56_kruiser New Member

I've searched through several videos and articles. Most of what I find is not based on the latest version. I did find one that seems simple enough, but it isn't working.

All I'm trying to do right now is:
    • OK Google <with a recognized word to trigger with>...example: OK Google test autovoice
    • Have that be recognized by AV, and run a task, using some AV variables
    Here is what I have done:
    • AV installed
    • Tasker installed (JFYI...been using Tasker for years...not senior experience but not noob)
    • AV settings
      • Google Now integration on
      • Tasker and AV on in Accessability
    Setup of profile:
    • Create profile called AV Test
      • Event/Plugin/Autovoice/Recognized
      • Configuration: Commands: sleep note
    My interpretation based on what I've been able to find (which obviously is wrong) I should be able to say:

Ok Google sleep note this is a test
    And the words sleep note would make autovoice start, and this is a test would populate the auto created variables. But AV is not even kicking off at all. I did not go into the Personal Assistant stuff, as I read that Google has stopped Home integration. Uhhhh...just happened to think...does that mean Autovoice cannot be triggered at all from Ok Google? Is that my problem?

Hoping to here I missed something and that AV is not dead to Google.

2. 56_kruiser

56_kruiser New Member

Well, I finally stumbled onto your Autovoice page that has some instructions, saying I need to say "Ok Google, Ask Auto Voice to..". I used AV along time ago, and at that time it wasn't necessary.

Further down the page, it talks about creating shortcuts in Home. I have Home on my phone...I do not have a Google Home speaker. It looks nothing like the Home app in the video, and does not have shortcuts to create that I can find. Am I stuck with the dreadful phrase "Ok Googlel Ask Autovoice to ..."?

3. 56_kruiser

56_kruiser New Member

Well, I've made some progress, yet unsuccessful. I found that shortcuts has been changed to routines, and I find it under Assistant. But I've not been successfuly getting anything to run with it. Based on the simple thing I want to do, I want autovoice know I've said something, like "sleep note I'm going to bed", at which point it will run a task that pulls the "I'm going to bed" phrase and write that to a file with date and time. At this point I can do that with the "Ok Google ask autovoice sleep note I'm going to bed". Well, I have yet to test if the variables yet. I'm currently focusing on trying to make it more natural/easy to make it happen.

4. Ailton Araujo

Ailton Araujo New Member

5. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Sorry for the confusion, I wish Google would make it easier.
    You can:
    Unfortunately with Google Assistant these are your best options.
    Hope this helps!

6. 56_kruiser

56_kruiser New Member

No need to be sorry:). It's not your fault Google screws things up. Google seems to be proficient in changing things. In fact they are quite gifted at abandoning apps. Due to that, I have been moving away from using Google apps.

Another thing that is difficult for programmers to do is keep documentation current...for their own changes, let alone for Google's stuff too.

I'm in the process of trying the earlier suggestion of using IFTTT. And of course, the documentation is not current. So I'm stumbling through that now.

Love your apps; you provide great support/

7. joaomgcd

Thank you! :) Let me know if you need help with anything!

8. 56_kruiser

56_kruiser New Member

I have become very confused. Autovoice, IFTTT, Join, Assistant, not sure how to proceed.

What is the simplest way to make something like this happen, I'll describe why doing this at bottom that you can read if interested, or feel free to ignore:

• I want simplest way to say "Sleep note I have gone to bed"
    • I want that to kick off a Tasker task that I have written that will take the part "I have gone to bed", and write that to the top of a file, along with date and time.
    I have written the Tasker task to do that.

Reason for task (not pertinent...feel free to ignore this ;-) )
    I'm having interrupted sleep. When I wake up for what ever reason, I have the phone next to bed, I want to say "sleep note cpap mask leaking". So next morning I can see what interrupted sleep, and determine times this is happening. I can get a better grasp on how many hours I am actually sleeping, to discuss with the Dr.

9. joaomgcd

The simplest way is to create a Routine.
    When you say "Sleep note I have gone to bed" make it perform the command "Ask AutoVoice to Sleep note I have gone to bed". Then have a condition in Tasker that listens to the "Sleep note I have gone to bed" command and it'll trigger the task :)

10. 56_kruiser

56_kruiser New Member

Thanks.

I think where I'm confused is, create a routine where?

11. joaomgcd

Check here:

12. 56_kruiser

56_kruiser New Member

I guess you can't send arguments to routines. I have searched and all I find is wish lists for that to happen. For example, "Ask AutoVoice to Sleep note I have gone to bed" I would want to bolded text to be a variable. I may say different things, and don't want to have to know whole specific phrases and have a different routine for every possibility.

In the end, I need Autovoice to trigger a Tasker task, and have the bolded words be a variable sent to that task. If unable to have a variable in the routine, this won't work for what I'm trying to do.

13. joaomgcd

: autovoice