AutoWear Get Podcasts from Pocket Casts and Play Selected 1.0

This Task will allow you to list your Pocket Casts podcasts on your wearable and start playing one

1. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

joaomgcd submitted a new AutoApps project:

Get Podcasts from Pocket Casts and Play Selected - This Task will allow you to list your Pocket Casts podcasts on your wearable and start playing one

Read more about this project...

2. JT3

JT3 New Member

This works fantastic. Is there any way to change it so that it shows (or better yet, *also* shows) playlists as selections? I tried to parse the code to find a way, but I'm still learning this stuff, and it's way over my head atm.

I've used Tasker in the past to auto-play the first item in the playlist, but Pocket Casts errors out half the time -- I'm not sure why. It never does when manually selecting them though, which it seems, is what this does. Getting this to show playlists, alone, would make my AutoApps purchases worth every penny!

3. joaomgcd

Thanks! :) By playlists do you mean the "EPISODE FILTERS" section?

4. JT3

JT3 New Member

No, at least on mine, it's listed below that section. I don't think they exist by default, until you actually long-press a podcast, and select "Add to" and "Playlist" I use these, since that's really the only good way Pocket Casts has of auto-playing multiple podcasts.

Basically, each morning, I select the podcasts I want to listen to that day, add them to the playlist, and adjust their order. Then, I have one long stream I can listen to.

5. joaomgcd

I actually just use a smart episode filter :) It's really handy for that. Podcasts will automatically be added to the episode filter when they come out. All I have to do is hit "play all" in that filter and I never even have to look at the podcast list.

6. JT3

JT3 New Member

I just tried that. Didn't know about it. That's cool. The only issue for me is that one of my podcasts is behind a paywall, so can't be auto-downloaded into pocket casts. Manually adding it means it shows as an all-new podcast subscription each time. I can still get the filter to work using stars, but you have to star episodes individually, whereas you can select multiple podcasts and add them to the playlist all at once. Still... good tip.

Also, that doesn't show on this task's output either. Now, you made me want to request both Filters *and* playlists to show! See what you did?

7. joaomgcd

So, ideally you would want a list of playlists that when clicked that playlist would start playing correct? :)

8. joaomgcd

9. JT3

JT3 New Member

You ROCK! Thank you so very much!

I bought tasker, initially, for the shiftjelly intents, to do this very thing. It worked, sort of... but not great. I just ran across these AutoApps, and was amazed at what they could do. I'm definitely going to try to learn this stuff, and see what I can do... but just now, you made my year!

10. joaomgcd

Awesome! :D Glad it worked. Don't forget to rate the apps on Google Play if you can. And the projects here too ;)
    Thanks for your support!

11. JT3

JT3 New Member

Happily rated both this project and the new one you just created. Thank you again!!!

joaomgcd likes this.
  12. Yamero

Yamero New Member

Hi, how did you get the names of the podcasts. How was the variable name(), was it with variable setup or its just variable from the configuration menu?
    Thanks, I've been learning a lot just from Going over the projects.

13. joaomgcd

I did it with Variable setup :)

14. Yamero

Yamero New Member

OK, maybe I need to rephrase my question. If I go into the Autoinput UI Query and into configuration the variable is set to au.com.shiftyjelly.pocketcasts:id/content_view=:=names(). Using Autoinput I guess that you got the "au.com.shiftyjelly.pocketcasts:id/content_view" and then just named the variable. My question which screen in podcast did you use get the au.com.shiftyjelly.pocketcasts:id/content_view address. Thanks

15. joaomgcd

I used the main podcasts screen where all your podcasts are listed.

16. Yamero

Yamero New Member

Thanks for your patience and help, this really helped me to understand more the auto apps and tasker. Great work!!

joaomgcd likes this.
  17. Michael Pirie

Michael Pirie New Member

Not sure this is working OK for me. I am subscribed to 2 podcasts - each one has about 3 episodes downloaded. When I run this my Smartwatch 3 shows a dialog listing the 2 podcasts. if i tap either of them the notification goes away and I then have to select the episode to play on the phone. Is that the way it's supposed to work?

18. joaomgcd

The podcast is supposed to play directly :) Is the phone screen still on when you click the podcast to play?

19. Michael Pirie

Michael Pirie New Member

OK, this is most frustrating. When the task runs, it first opens the Pocket Cast app on the phone. If this is on the main screen, it just sits there and a notification comes upbon the watch saying 'Episodes' and nothing else. The phone screen stays on and nothing is selected or plays. So, I stop the task in Tasker, go back to Pocket casts and manually select one of the playlists. I then run the task again in Tasker and this time the watch shows a list of the episodes in the playlist, which I can tap and it starts playing. It seems as if Autoinput is not doing anything (I have the paid version)