AutoCast AutoCast Voice on Google Home

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by sevin7, Aug 9, 2019.

1. sevin7

sevin7 New Member

I have Wyze contact sensors on my doors and google home minis all around my house and a google nest hub in my kitchen. My goal is to have my google home speakers broadcast 'xxx door opened' (where 'xxx' is the name of a door) when a door is opened. This is accomplished by using tasker to parse the android notification from Wyze which says "xxx door opened" and then use AutoCast to tell a group of google home speakers to say something. So far I've got tasker setup to play a sound on my phone when a Wyze notification is received (I'm new to tasker). I'm now trying the next step which is to get AutoCast to make my google home speakers say something. I've tried every possible configuration in AutoCast (which I had to purchase just to try because the free trial thing flat out wouldn't work) to try and get AutoCast to say something on my google homes and so far all it will do is occasionally make a short alert type sound (not exactly sure how to describe it) and it does not do it consistently. It will also show a AutoCast screen on my google nest hub, but I'm not concerned about seeing anything, I just want to get AutoCast to speak. I'm trying to use the 'Voice' part of AutoCast but it is not working at all. Here is a screenshot of my configuration:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bFXQLNV5RyQwJa3f6

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

2. sevin7

sevin7 New Member

Following this guide I managed to get my speakers to play an mp3 file and works reliably. BTW I should mention I'm using an old phone that is always on and at home on the same wifi network as the google home devices (I'm pretty sure thats a requirement for this). The configuration below works:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nb1AV6EW5D4kudLA6

However, it would be nice if the voice part worked so I don't have to pre-record mp3 files for each door name.

The next step is to actually parse the Wyze notifications (currently its playing for all Wyze notifications) and figure out the name of the door that opened from the body of the notification and then choose which action to play, which each one playing a different sound. Is this something I need to get the AutoNotification to do or can Tasker handle it without another plugin?

3. sevin7

sevin7 New Member

I figured out how to get the voice thing to work and I actually prefer to use pre-made text to speech that sounds a lot better. It looks like the google drive functionality also allows the casting to work even when not on same same wifi network, but thats a lot slower and I have a local device.

4. sevin7

sevin7 New Member

I got everything working now. On average there's about a 5-10 second delay from the time the door opens to the time my google home's announce what door is opening. The delay kind of sucks but it is what it is. The sensors are $5 each so its pretty great functionality for the price.

5. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Great :D Very glad you got it!

6. El Lobo

El Lobo New Member

Hi all:

I have been trying to get this to cast just audio to my Google Nest Mini but it won't work. I can get it to cast to my Shield but nothing happens with the mini. I only have the lite/demo version as I wanted to make sure it would work first. I am trying to get my Nest mini to announce when the front door is open (via webCoRE and Smartthings) so this was the first step. I do not have any other Google home displays or speakers, just the Nest mini.

What am I missing...Thanks.

7. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

what happens when you try with the mini?

8. El Lobo

El Lobo New Member

I just changed it to AutoSpeak from AutoCast and now it works. But I also had to add in a Device settings command to set the volume first and explicitly disable mute, otherwise nothing worked.

So then the last question...does my phone need to be in the house on the same network for this to work? Or do I need to have Tasker running on an always available device like my SHIELD?

: autocast