Solved Custom sound via API not working

Discussion in 'Join' started by kranix, Jul 5, 2020.

1. kranix

kranix New Member

I've got a custom text notification via API working. Now I'm trying to specify a custom notification sound but I'm only hearing the default sound.

Here's a sample URL (API key redacted):
    https://joinjoaomgcd.appspot.com/_ah/api/messaging/v1/sendPush?apikey={API_Key}&deviceId=group.all&title=Test%20Title&text=This%20is%20a%20message&sound=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fesliyanstudios.com%2Fplay-mp3%2F4429​

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Try setting a category for the notification as well. Otherwise it'll always use the sound set for the default category. Unfortunately recent Android changes made it so that a notification has to have a different category to use a different sound.

3. kranix

kranix New Member

4. kranix

kranix New Member

Testing further, I observe that my phone doesn't make a notification sound if a category is set. If I remove the category, at least I get the default notification sound.

A spoken message works. I'm currently using that as a workaround.

I've got a Google Pixel 2 with Android 10.

5. joaomgcd

What if you go into Android Settings > Apps > Join > Notifications > cat > modify sound there?

6. kranix

kranix New Member

Here's what a new category looks like after using a Join API URI:
    https://imgur.com/a/DLIfOGA

I can manually change the notification sound from there and it works for subsequent notifications in that category. But the sound URI pushed via the API does not work.

7. joaomgcd

Yep, that's just how Android works unfortunately :( Google changed it so that only the user can change a category's sound. The app can't do that itself.

8. kranix

kranix New Member

Thanks for explaining. Would that mean that the "sound" URL parameter is redundant? It's essentially non-functional.

9. joaomgcd

It should work for the first time you create the notification category (by creating a notification with that category for the first time), but won't be able to be changed after that.

10. kranix

kranix New Member

Good to know and I really appreciate your time to explain. Now I've got a whole bunch of categories created from my testing. Would you happen to know how to delete them so that I can have a cleaner config?

11. joaomgcd

Unfortunately there's no way for users to delete those categories :( I would have to add an option in the app to do it. What you need to do if you really want to is to uninstall the app and then re-install it. Sorry! Wish Google hadn't made this whole category system so cumbersome...