Solved Automated installation in Chrome on linux, "Must provide regId"

Discussion in 'Join' started by qpkorr, Jul 13, 2020.

1. qpkorr

qpkorr New Member

Hi,
    I've had nothing but wonderful support here, so thought I'd ask another question.
    I'm trying to automate my linux installation process - and there's one chrome extension I want to install automatically, Join. I've followed the guide here
    https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/external_extensions
    and created a file
    Code (Text):
    #; cat /usr/share/google-chrome/extensions/flejfacjooompmliegamfbpjjdlhokhj.json
    {
      "external_update_url": "https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx"
    }
    and the extension gets installed. But when I open it, it's blank, and if I go to the Diagnostics | Test, on the second line, it has the error about "Must provide regId". I tried moving the GCM Store directory aside as suggested elsewhere, to no avail - any other ideas?
    One clue might be that when I install manually from the webstore, I get a warning that another machine is already using the name Chrome so I rename this instance. Another clue is the error I get when running the diagnostic test - Unknown error: TypeError: Cannot read property 'where' of null.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks very much,
    John

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi. When you first install Join it asks you to sign in too. Maybe you can't install it automatically because of that?

3. qpkorr

qpkorr New Member

Hi - thanks. I'm not sure what the problem was exactly - but I just did a clean install of ubuntu, chrome, and join using the above method - and this time it worked. It asked me to sign in as you say, but this time it worked. The previous time when it didn't... I can only guess. This time, I'd not yet signed into google at all, the previous time I had - I think. Ah well - if I can't reproduce it any more, I declare myself useless on the topic. Case closed :)

4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Glad to hear that! :)

: join, regId