AutoLocation Altitude

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Perks, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Perks

Perks New Member

Hello João

Today i was trying to get altitude using autolocation, nothing fancy just wanted to know the altitude where I was at

No matter what, I couldn't get autolocation to give %alaltitude back, so quickly took a look in maps api and in a couple of minutes using autoweb an altitude api was up and running, didn't share because autolocation has it

But is there any problem with altitude with al?
    don't know why, but it always come back empty to me

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi there. How are you trying to get your altitude with AutoLocation?

Also, how did create an AutoWeb altitude API? I'm curious about that. :)

Thanks!

3. Perks

Perks New Member

just using action autolocation location, but i think i've just pinpointed the issue, if i'm querying location using wifi %alaltitude comes blanc, using data doesm't seem to have this problem, so maybe it's another issue than autolocation

about using autoweb, i've just used google maps elevation api with google login (as far as i can tell using google auth didn's ask for an api key) , just sent you an email with the exported API

anyway between using autolocation and this api it seems there is a difference about 50 meters, not sure but i think google maps api it's a little more accurate

4. joaomgcd

hmm, but the google maps api gives you the elevation for a given point on the map, right? :) Ok, that should work if you're not flying or something like that :D

5. Perks

Perks New Member

ok, so if i'm not flying i'm good to go :D

Just for my curiousity but if maps method it's only for altitude in any given point, and autolocation should work no matter what, how do auto location find my altitude, using GPS sensors only?

So that means i need to get a GPS lock for altitude to work, and that explains why i was getting blank values, as i was inside a building ;)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  6. joaomgcd

yes, that's exactly it :D Glad you got it!

7. Perks

Perks New Member

maybe autolocation could also use maps api to query altitude when there is no GPS lock
    (ok maybe i'm aiming a little to high because that would make necessary to autolocation acess user's google account) but just a quick suggestion though :p

: altitude