Find Custom Settings To Use in AutoTools Secure Settings

Learn how you can find your own custom settings on your own device

1. joaomgcd
    Sometimes you wonder if you can change a certain setting on your device but don't know what setting that is.

With this method you can find what setting does what very easily.

STEP 1 - LIST ALL SETTINGS

• Follow the tutorial here to setup ADB
    • Open your command line and list all three system, global and secure settings using the commands available here.
    • Copy the full listing to a new comparison in WinMerge

STEP 2 - CHANGE SETTING ON DEVICE

Change the setting you want to find on your device. In this example I toggled the Adaptive Brightness setting

STEP 3 - CHECK WHAT THE SETTING IS

• clear your command line with cls or clear or any similar command
    • list all three system, global and secure settings again
    • Copy the full listing to the second comparison window in WinMerge
    • Press F5 to refresh the comparison
    • The changed setting should now be highlighted

STEP 4 - CHANGE SETTING IN TASKER

• In Tasker, add the AutoTools Secure Settings action
    • Go to Custom Setting
    • In the Setting Type field select the type that you found corresponded to the setting that changed. In this case it was a System setting
    • In the Name field write the name of the setting that changed. In this case it was the screen_brightness_mode setting
    • In the Input Type you have to guess which to use. You can usually tell by the value the setting has already. In this example I know this is a toggle so I'll use the Toggle type. If one type doesn't work for you keep trying different types until it works.
    • In the value set the new value for the setting. In this example I want to toggle it, so I'll set it to 3.
    • Back out to Tasker, and run the task. The setting should now toggle! :cool:

L.Drake likes this.