Open Android Messages unable to send notifications

Discussion in 'Join' started by LukeX, Jul 17, 2018.

1. LukeX

LukeX New Member

Hi,

I really enjoy your app, thank you very much!

Recently, I have a problem with pushing SMS notifications received by Android Messages (com.google.android.apps.messaging) to the Desktop (Chrome extension).

I used the nifty "Debug Package Name" feature in your app. Here is the log:
    Code (Text):
     version 2.0.bf2

OS Build ALEXNDR.G935FXXU2ERF4
    OS Code 26
    Device SM-G935F
    Manufacturer samsung
    Product hero2ltexx

Notification Send - 2018-07-17 23:04:21.887 - com.google.android.apps.messaging: 0|com.google.android.apps.messaging|0|com.google.android.apps.messaging:sms:173|10183:Not sending because isNotGroupSummary
    Notification Send - 2018-07-17 23:04:21.886 - Checking 4 notifications to see which are eligible to send
    Notification Send - 2018-07-17 23:04:21.884 - com.google.android.apps.messaging: 0|com.google.android.apps.messaging|0|com.google.android.apps.messaging:sms:173|10183: lines length: 0
    Notification Send - 2018-07-17 23:04:21.884 - com.google.android.apps.messaging: 0|com.google.android.apps.messaging|0|com.google.android.apps.messaging:sms:173|10183: Found text: Test
    Notification Send - 2018-07-17 23:04:21.884 - com.google.android.apps.messaging: 0|com.google.android.apps.messaging|0|com.google.android.apps.messaging:sms:173|10183: Final text: Test
    I have exactly one notification from Android Messages currently displayed which is the one with "Test" as text. The other 3 notifications mentioned in the log are from 3 unrelated apps.

I have Android Messages enabled for pushing but as you can see from the log, nothing is pushed.

I followed the debug message and tried enabling the "Send All In Group" switch (which was "off" before). Now the push notifications from Android Messages work. However, having the "Send All In Group" set to "on" is quite annoying, e.g. for Gmail.

I remember that pushing SMS with Android Messages used to work and I did not change any settings in Join. What did change was, however, that I updgraded from Android 7.0 to 8.0 recently. Maybe the issue started then.
    Another info, that might be unrelated is, that I had hundreds of unread SMS in the device storage, however, while testing this push issue I used the "Mark all as read" button in Android Messages. Now there are no unread messages anymore, but it did not make any difference regarding the push behavior of Join.

Nonetheless, I am confused why Android Messages does not send this one single notification. Do you have any idea? Also, can you explain what "173|10183" means in the debug output?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi there. If you want to receive SMS notifications you should use the built-in Join SMS service :) Did you try that? If you want I can still look into the issues but I suggest you first try that... Thanks!

3. LukeX

LukeX New Member

What do you mean by "SMS service"? Is it the "SMS and Call Service" switch in the "SMS and Phone Calls" menu? I thought that option is there to enable other devices (e.g. my PC) to send SMS from my phone.

Regarding the issue, it would still be interesting to see why that particular app does not work without the "Sent All in Group" setting enabled. Maybe it is a bug that is also affecting other apps?

4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Yes, but that option also allows you to receive SMS notifications, so that could help!

Just to clarify though, does it work correctly with the setting enabled?

5. nikpmr

nikpmr New Member

I'm having the same issues. Android Messages will not work unless "Send All In Group" is enabled.
    I'd rather not use SMS service because the popup does not include a dismiss button.