AutoLocation AutoLocation geofence flapping in/out after Android 7.0 upgrade

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Craig Collins, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Craig Collins

Craig Collins New Member

My S7 was updated to Android 7.0 yesterday. Since the upgrade, in various locations where I have geofencing setup, AutoLocation is determining there is a location change, setting to outside the geofence, and then in a short period of time back inside. This causes my Tasker profile to run the task for exiting and then soon after to run the task for entering. Again, this behavior became much more prevalent after the Android 7 upgrade. Not sure how that factors in.
    I have expanded the geofence boundary and added a delay to the geofence. I started with 30 seconds, but that wasn't enough based on the logs. Then went up to 75 seconds and there was less flapping, but still some. I just reset it to 150 seconds, but I'm not sure if this is the best way to handle it and the additional seconds are really delaying the task now when there is not a false positive and I really have left the geofence.
    I looked at the location history for my device and it is all over the place for where Google thinks I have been while I have been standing still (relatively). I'm guessing it is pinging out to different cell towers when it thinks I am not at my office for instance.
    I have the Tasker task turn activate AutoInput to turn the location settings to Battery Saving (Wifi & mobile) to save battery and because the building I am in doesn't get consistent GPS anyway.
    Not sure what else to try to get this to function better or how to determine what changes to make AutoLocation think I have left the Geofence. Ideas?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately AutoLocation simply gets its geofence data from Google so if Google thinks you're all over the place AutoLocation will think so too :( GPS wouldn't help you in this situation, you're right.
    Is your wifi being turned off sometime during the day perhaps?
    Does it also do that if the screen is on?
    Also, in case you don't know it's now much easier to toggle location mode using AutoTools. It works in the background too! :) Check it out here.

3. Craig Collins

Craig Collins New Member

I setup a profile for my car bluetooth to turn on autolocation geofence service and turn it off when the bluetooth is no longer connected. So, that stops autolocation from getting a new location outside the fence when I am not in my vehicle, which is ok for my current purposes. I played around with the settings in the autolocation advanced menu a little and found that I am getting good results when I have the 'Exit Geofences When Connections Lost' & 'Exit Geofences when Toggling Geofence Monitor' turned off while 'Force Location Monitor to help' needed to be on to get consistent results. Seems to be working well for me currently. And I think this will save a little battery since the autolocation service is not on all the time.

: autolocation