AutoTools AutoTools launcher using non-launcher app

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Axxel, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Axxel

Axxel New Member

I'm trying to use AutoTools's launcher config to switch between a normal (Nova Launcher) and car context (not "car mode" since this is Oreo). Unfortunately, my preferred car launcher AutoMate (com.bitspice.automate) only registers as a launcher when its running, and only then if its setting to act as a launcher is on. While I can get AutoTools's "launcher" action to recognize AutoMate when its running, when AutoMate quits AutoTools appears to get very confused. Subsequent attempts to switch to the AutoTools launcher (home button press) appear to do nothing, tasks that try to set the AutoTools launcher option hang, etc.

I understand that at least part of the problem here is that AutoMate does its own trickery to register/deregister as a launcher, but that's only necessary if I want it to actually register as a launcher on its own. My preference would be to just have Tasker/AutoTools manage my launcher. To do so it would be nice if AutoTools would allow non-launcher apps to be the AutoTools "launcher" and just to run the app's main activity.

Would this be possible as a feature request? I can imagine this would also be useful for kiosk-like apps, etc.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

So, just to clarify, have an option to simply launch any app instead of just launchers, correct? :)

3. Axxel

Axxel New Member

Yes, open any app as the launcher is the feature request. Sorry to be unclear.

That said, I do think its worth investigating what happens when AutoTools can't find the launcher it expects. I was able to switch the default launcher because I happened to have Settings in my recent apps. Had I not been able to get to Settings I'm not sure how I would have recovered. I'd expect that AutoTools should prompt the user for a different launcher if the selected launcher can't be found. Using the same prompt as it uses to select launchers in Tasker perhaps?

4. joaomgcd

Thank you. It'd never even occurred to me that a selected launcher could maybe not be present when it tried to be launched :) You're right.

About the feature request, can you add that request here so I can give it proper priority? https://autotools.helprace.com/ Thanks!

5. Axxel

Axxel New Member

Done, filed as: "Allow any app as AutoTools launcher". I can't post the link because of the spam filter.

6. joaomgcd

Thank you very much :) Appreciate it!

: autotools