AutoInput Bluetooth Controller Mapping

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by emmidan, Jan 11, 2017.

1. emmidan

emmidan New Member

Hi everyone.
    Firstly I am sorry if this has already been discussed but I couldn't find it anywhere to solve what I need to do.
    In basic terms I am a complete novice with Tasker & AutoInput and after playing with it for a couple of hours I am lost to the point where I don't think what I am trying to do is actually possible but it could simply be because I'm a newbie and don't know what the hell I am doing!
    Here's my problem if anyone would dare like to help me so thanks in advance.
    1, I have a Galaxy S7 Edge with Tasker & AutoInput already installed from the Play store.
    2. I have a special app on my phone that allows me to swipe up down left and right on the screen which triggers the app to do what it needs. Lets say I need to swipe up then left, then the app would display the up arrow and then the left arrow respectively.
    3. I'd like to be able to do the same with my small Bluetooth Media controller so I would be inside the app and from the bluetooth controller I could send my app the up, down, left and right swipe gestures using the controller instead of swiping.
    4. Currently straight out of the box the volume up and volume down on my bluetooth controller creates the correct swipe response in my app. Unfortunately the Media Previous & Media Next buttons on my bluetooth controller don't function inside my particular app.
    Could anybody kindly show me how to set this up so the two missing buttons will work? These two buttons only have to work when I am connected using this bluetooth controller and only inside the special app. All other times the Media Previous & Media Next buttons can work as normal on music apps.
    Again thanks to anybody who might attempt to help but but remember I don't really understand how Tasker or AudioINput works.
    Cheers Alan (Emmidan)

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Did you already have Android 7 on your Galaxy S7? That's the only way AutoInput will be able to do swipes for you :)

3. emmidan

emmidan New Member

Hi thanks for the reply but I'm not sure it's actually a swipe I need to create but just the arrow to appear on the app.
    I only have Android 6.01 but I can press the up button (volume +) on a blue tooth controller which does create an up arrow on my app. Also I can press the down button (volume -) on my blue tooth controller which also creates a down arrow on my app.
    I'm hoping the blue tooth controller buttons left and right (Which I believe are media previous and media next) might be able to create the left and right arrows and work the same way as the other two?

4. MikeW

MikeW Member

5. emmidan

emmidan New Member

Ha ha Thanks Mike but this is way beyond my understanding I don't even know what to press on Auto Input & Tasker to create what you've done. I will leave it for now as unless somebody has already created an easy to follow idiot proof guide how to capture the blue tooth buttons and change them to do other stuff in certain apps then I'm not really up to speed enough to be in here driving people mad! Thanks again.

6. MikeW

MikeW Member

It sounds like your app is simply reprocessing normal Android key strokes and remapping them to activate the arrows. The first step, would be to find out what keystrokes it needs to bring up the left and right arrows. If you have a keyboard you can hook up, it should be pretty easy to determine, or I can look at it if you tell me the name of the app you're using. (I find these kind of challenges fun, so I'm happy to help if you want to proceed.)

7. emmidan

emmidan New Member

Hi Mike you're a star. After hooking up a blue tooth keyboard I can confirm that the app I'm using just needs the up down left and right arrow keys. I need my my blue tooth controller to create the left and right arrows only. Thanks

8. emmidan

emmidan New Member

Hi again Mike. Just to clarify my previous post.
    When using a Bluetooth keyboard to control the app. If I key any of the four cursor arrow keys then the respective arrow shows on the screen.
    As previously explained, when using a small little blue tooth controller the volume + & volume - do create the up and down arrows nicely but the Media previous and Media next buttons don't create the left and right arrows which need to be remapped to stimulate left and right cursor keyboard commands. Hope this helps to give you a clear idea of what I'm trying to do.
    It would also really help if this blue tooth remapping function only worked when this particular app is launched.
    Thanks

9. MikeW

MikeW Member

Sounds like it should be doable.
    This app you're talking about; is it something that I can get from the Play Store? If I can install it, I should be able to build a project that you can just import into Tasker, Otherwise, you'll need to learn enough about Tasker to be able to enter the code.

10. emmidan

emmidan New Member

Hi Mike it's a a magic app that costs £80 UK Pounds but it's a top top secret app that the very best magicians in the world use and I don't think you will want to lay out that kind of money just to fix my problem. The app works like this.
    1. Open the app by pressing the icon of the app once. (When the app opens it is at this point that I would love the buttons on my bluetooth remote to be ready to transmit the keyboard arrow keys) again being up & down (already working) left and right (not working)
    When I close the app the task can stop so this task would only start running once I open the app.
    If there is a way where you could create it and then all I would have to do is put the app name in the right code?
    Thanks

11. MikeW

MikeW Member

Sounds cool. I think I can work around that. May take me a day or two to get to it, but I don't think it will be a real problem,

12. emmidan

emmidan New Member

Mike, you are a gentleman and scholar as we say here in sunny London UK. Very much looking forward to hearing from you. My problem with Tasker and Autoinput is I'm just not clever enough to understand the variables or how to choose what I need to do what I want it to do.
    How the hell does a novice like me tell my Galaxy S7 edge to listen out for a bluetooth controller that could send a signal which is usually a left Media Previous signal and turn it into a left cursor arrow key signal....the amount of actions, gestures, inputs and stuff just blows my mind and trust me i've watched every single you tube video there is but none of them actually do what I would like to do.

13. MikeW

MikeW Member

Tasker (and its associated plugins) are pretty daunting at first. The learning curve is steep, but the rewards are great. The Digital Dash project on my blog does a pretty good job of bringing modern tech into my older cars and it wouldn't be possible without Tasker.
    (I think I have your project done, actually. I need to check out just a couple of things, but I'll try to get it uploaded here in the next couple of hours.)

14. MikeW

MikeW Member

Ok. I think the attached file will do what you want...I hope.
    Download it and save it to some known location on your device.
    To import it, you'll need to go into Tasker. First, make sure Beginner Mode is Off by going to Tasker's Preferences and deselecting the checkbox next to it. Then go back to Tasker's main interface page.
    Double-click or long-click the "Home" icon at the bottom of the screen. This should bring up a menu with one of the options being "Import". Click that and you'll see the "Project File Select" page. By default, it's pointing to Tasker/projects/ Your download file isn't likely to be there, however, so hit the Back arrow at the top of the screen to step up the file tree. If you've used Chrome to download the file to your device, for example, it will be in the Download folder, which is two clicks of the Back arrow and then clicking the Download folder icon. Once you find the project, just click it to import.
    Once you have the project imported, you'll need to make one change in it. Make sure you are in the "Controller" project. Then go to the profiles tab and touch the profile named "OnAppStart" it should open up and you'll the Calculator name and icon. That is the app that will trigger the keymapping setup. I used that as a placeholder, figuring that you probably has that as well. To change it to your app, touch the calculator name/icon in the profile. This should bring up a list of all the apps on your device. As you scroll through them, you'll see that Calculator has a box around it, indicating that is the trigger app. Touch it to disable that and then find and touch your app; the box should appear around it. Now back out by hitting the "<App Selection" icon at the top of the screen. You should now see your app name in the profile.
    Exit Tasker by hitting your device's built-in back key; you should now be back on your home screen.
    Make sure your controller is connected to your device and launch your app. If we're lucky, all will work as you want. If not, let me know and we'll see if we can get it fixed.
    Good Luck!

Attached Files:

15. MikeW

MikeW Member

One other thing I should have mentioned: If you get this imported and configured and nothing seems to happen, go into your device's Accessibility settings and make sure that AutoInput is turned on. If not, the system won't be able to intercept keypresses.

16. emmidan

emmidan New Member

Hi Mike did everything. It all imported changed the app etc but the two left and right buttons didn't work. I even tried changing the name of them from media previous and media next to media fast forward or fast rewind incase the buttons are not actually called this. They are the buttons that have a straight vertical line with a triangle next to them.

Attached Files:

17. MikeW

MikeW Member

OK. I'll create a short project that will show us exactly what keys those are. It's late afternoon where I am though, so I won't be able to do it until tomorrow.
    It's odd that this didn't work, however. Did you check that the Accessibility Service is turned on for AutoInput?

18. MikeW

MikeW Member

Didn't take as long as I thought it might. Import the attached project and get your controller linked up with your device.
    Anytime you press one of the buttons in any app, it should flash the key identifier on your screen. If you don't get anything, it probably means that something isn't configured quite right on your device.
    Let me know.

Attached Files:

19. emmidan

emmidan New Member

Yep both turned on. Tasker and Auto input services. I paid £2.99 for Tasker but Auto Input is free version Is there anything else I am missing?

20. emmidan

emmidan New Member

Have just seen your last post will try this project now thanks