Open Can't send file from device with () in name

Discussion in 'Join' started by Martin!, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Martin!

Martin! New Member

I tried millions of times to send files from Chrome to my phone, but it just wouldn't work. No error messages or anything, it just didn't do anything at all. I then figured that maybe the parenthesis in my device name was the problem, so I renamed it from "Chrome (work)" to "Chrome Work", and suddenly everything worked. Just to be sure I tried switching back to the old name, and file transfers stopped working again.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi. I tried this but couldn't reproduce it. So it's only files that aren't working for you? Is everything else working with the ()?

3. Martin!

Martin! New Member

Of all the things I tried (File, Paste, Send Tab and Tasker Command) everything else worked.

Maybe the parenthesis wasn't the problem after all -- I just tried sending a file from Chrome to my phone and suddenly it doesn't work even though I'm still using the device name without parenthesis. So I guess there must be some other problem. Sniffing the traffic I see no connection being made at all when I try to send a file. I'm running Chrome on Ubuntu.

4. joaomgcd

And does other stuff still work for you right now? And did the file thing ever work for you until now? Thanks

5. Martin!

Martin! New Member

Everything else I mentioned above (pasting, sending tabs and tasker commands) still works as it should. And sending files works fine from my phone and from my home computer, just not from my work computer. It worked for a short while after I renamed the device, as described in my first post, but then it didn't work again when I tried it a few days later. I'll see what happens if I rename the device once again tomorrow.

I know the words "work computer" raises a red flag in situations like this, but this is a regular laptop which I have full administrative control over myself, on a regular internet connection without any restrictions, so that shouldn't be the problem.

6. joaomgcd

Can you please try this:
    - go into Chrome
    - settings
    - extensions
    - enable developer mode
    - click on join.html
    - go to the console tab
    - send a file
    - see if anything appears there

Thanks

7. Martin!

Martin! New Member

I tried the above, and nothing shows up in the console. Sending a tab or pasting leads to messages in the console, but not when sending a file. I guess this makes it even harder to troubleshoot.