AutoLocation Geofence flakiness

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Eric Walker, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Eric Walker

Eric Walker New Member

I've got one geofence that is driving me batty. It's setup around my workplace, catches true exits and enters about as well as one could hope, but inexplicably loses its mind a few times a week, seemingly when I lose all wireless signals.

I've made sure to uncheck 'Exit Geofences...' as I can't control losing signal in the building I work in. This seems to have no effect.

I'm using AutoLocation 1.1.49, Tasker 4.8u5m, Android 6.0.1 all on a SM-910A (Galaxy Note 4)

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have tasker text the wife when I trip the fence either direction, and she's not at all amused when I then have to follow-up with "Sorry, just had to drop a duece"

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

When it loses its mind, do you mean that it starts going in and out a lot? Or that it just doesn't detect that you're in the building?

3. Eric Walker

Eric Walker New Member

Yes, it cycles between being in and out of the geofence. This typically happens when I need to use the restroom, which is in the center of the building so no cell service at all and little if any WiFi signal due to all the EM noise spewed by the various equipment. My assumption here is that occasionally I get enough WiFi signal to get an IP, and that's when it puts me back in the fence, but as soon as the signal is low enough to disconnect, it puts me back outside the fence.

All of which I thought would be negated by unchecking the 'Exit Geofences...' option. Is that not the case?

PS, thanks for the great apps and quick response!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  4. joaomgcd

No problem :)

Can you please try to set the geofence wait time to some value by long-clicking the geofence in the Geofence Manager in the main app?

The option you mention only forces all geofences to exit if you lose connection, but I guess this is provoked by the geofence monitor itself, so it doesn't apply here.

Thanks in advance.

5. Eric Walker

Eric Walker New Member

My apologies, didn't even know the delay setting existed! I'm starting at 60 and will let you know how it goes!

As to the forced geofence exit option, that's why I though unchecking would solve the issue, because I only see this behavior when it's very likely that I have no cell or wifi connections.

6. Eric Walker

Eric Walker New Member

Well, the delay does calm things down a bit, but as I can't control how long I might be without signal, it doesn't really resolve the issue. I tried as long as 5 minutes and I still get at least one cycle (inside->outside->inside) of the fence.

Is it really not possible to just leave the geofence states alone until a connection is re-established? That would be a real bummer, as this is my last resort at continuing to use Tasker in this way. Originally I used to use Cell Near to trigger this profile, but in recent versions of Tasker, it's no more reliable than AutoLocation is right now. It always seems to find new cell towers, despite having walked the property outline while scanning.

7. joaomgcd

I'll need to add a new "Don't change geofence state if no connection" option for that. :) I'll add it to my todo list, thanks

JeffTheOmega1 likes this.
  8. schrestman

schrestman New Member

I'd also like to add that I have the exact same issue at work, and would love to see this feature!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk