AutoRemote Help with tasker/Executing task on Autoremote rcvd msg

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by DGF, Aug 10, 2015.

1. DGF

DGF New Member

Hello!

I am trying to set up a macro which sends a message to my phone when i launch Mediamonkey on the PC. The message is supposed to trigger launching the MMremote app on the phone. I first tried to go through eventghost, but my phone would not receive messages from it. Then i had EventGhost send the message to a second android device, which then sent another message to the primary phone. Now, the primary phone does receive this message, as the Autoeremote logs show, but the task of launching MMremote does not execute.

I have set the profile context to State - Plugin - Autoremote - Checked event behaviour and used the exact phrase in Message Filter, but it still does not execute the task. Any suggestions?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Can you please try this:
    - clear logs
    - enable system logs
    - send message
    -export logs and paste them here

Also, can you please export your profile's description (not xml) so I can take a look? Thanks

3. DGF

DGF New Member

Hi again!
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I made it work while waiting for the reply, but it made me realize I need to learn more about how variables work, and especially in Autoremote
    I used bits of info from this example:

http://www.pocketables.com/2012/09/beginners-guide-to-tasker-part-6-autoremote.htm
    (See the part about tasker vars)

and tried to build the task from scratch:
    Action - Variables - Set variable
    (config Name: %armessage To %ma) ( "ma" is the message filter )
    Action - App - Launch app - MMremote

I realize that new variables action is probably what made it work, but how and why eludes me

The weird thing is I swear it also worked when I accidentally ran the task from the other phone, BEFORE i added the launch mmremote action to the task.

I'm a total variables noob, so I clearly need to learn more about that. I believed you could simply make the context with the trigger word in the message filter, and then add a task, but clearly I need to use variables in the task. Or am I on the wrong track here? SHould my oroginal profile have worked if I had done it right?

What I would really like is for someone to set up a profile where tasker receives an Autoremote message and executes a task and explain every step like to a four year old.

4. joaomgcd

5. DGF

DGF New Member

Thanks, I will.
    Since I'm new here, just let me say thanks for these awesome apps, and your competent and swift support. I'd say your plugins are up there with Photoshop and the likes in terms of sheer usefulness!

6. joaomgcd

Thank you very much, glad you enjoy them! :)

: tasker, messaging