Open Join Causing Windows Shell Crashes in Latest W10 Builds

Discussion in 'Join' started by VideoSavant, Jun 24, 2016.

1. VideoSavant

VideoSavant New Member

On the last couple of Windows 10 builds (14371 and 14372), Join has been causing problems. Whenever I receive a notification via Join, the Windows shell (Explorer) crashes. It starts right back up, but I get notifications via Join roughly every 20 minutes and I tend to be doing file operations a lot, so I turned notifications for Join off in Windows settings. And the problem stopped.

Not expecting an immediate fix, but wanted to make sure you were aware of this. Of course, it's possible that it's something else, but Join seems to the cause.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the report. Are those preview builds by any chance?

3. VideoSavant

VideoSavant New Member

Yes, they are "previews," but should probably be considered late betas. We received two builds last week and then two this week, including one on Tuesday and another Thursday. Getting closer, with official release likely at end of July.

4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

I would argue that an app should never be able to crash a component on the OS, so even if something's wrong with Join I think you should report that as a bug to Microsoft :)

And since that crash doesn't happen on previous versions, I believe there's nothing for me to fix since it seems the issue was introduced by Microsoft somewhere along the lines.

Hope this helps somewhat and thanks again for the report!
    João