Open Messages not displaying in Chrome

Discussion in 'Join' started by beardking, Feb 9, 2018.

1. beardking

beardking New Member

I have been using Join for quite a while now, and I occasionally (and currently) have this problem. I'll get a text message on my phone (Galaxy S8), I'll get the notification in Chrome (on Windows 10) and for a couple of seconds, the message will be visible in the join window, but then the notification will disappear. I have a bunch of messages from previous days available, but nothing from today.

Refreshing the Join window does nothing. Going to diagnostics and running the test does nothing.

I've closed Chrome, rebooted and removed and reinstalled the Join extension and nothing works.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

3. beardking

beardking New Member

No, the messages are showing up on my phone, they are disappearing from the Chrome extension window.

4. joaomgcd

Hmm, are those messages maybe special "enhanced" messages and not normal SMS?

5. beardking

beardking New Member

Nope. Standard, every day, boring SMS messages. And it's unpredictable when it's going to happen. Like, right now, I'm having a conversation using the Join extension and everything is showing up just how they should.

6. rogerinnyc

rogerinnyc New Member

I'm having the exact same issue, having just re-installed Join on my Mate 10 (running Oreo) and the Chrome Extension on my PC (running Windows 10).
    If I send a text from my phone text app (Textra), all is good, and the message shows in my Join Chrome Extension. But if I send a message from the Extension, the message sends and is received, and it shows up in the Chrome Extension, but only until I close out the Extension. When I re-open the Extension, the sent message appears for a second or two, but then disappears. And it also doesn't get copied over to the texting app on my phone.

Edit: Here's a clue. It seems as though the SMS messages sent from the Extension are showing up as Pushes to my phone under the Devices tab of your app on my phone, instead of SMS??

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  7. joaomgcd

@rogerinnyc that's the issue I mention in the FAQ mentioned above.
    @beardking does that SMS app maybe use its own SMS database and not the normal Android system SMS database? Maybe try using a different SMS app?

8. rogerinnyc

rogerinnyc New Member

@joaomgcd Thanks for the quick reply, but it's not the same issue as the FAQ. My text message sent from the Join Chrome Extension on my Windows 10 PC sends fine to the recipient, but doesn't remain in or show in the Extension afterwards -- so there's no evidence of it having ever been sent. It also doesn't show up in my Android text app, but that's a second problem. It does show up in my Android Join App, but under Pushes, not SMS.
    Can you offer any other thoughts? Thx.

9. joaomgcd

Thanks for the extra details, but that's a similar issue. The SMS app on your device is not picking up the fact that Join is sending SMS so it's not updating the SMS database with the new SMS. That in turn makes the new SMS not show up in the Join extension (because the SMS is not in the database). Hope this clarifies it.

10. bigjaydogg1

bigjaydogg1 New Member

I am having the same issue. I tried using a couple different apps, and I even sent tests via the "Remote SMS" feature in the phone's Join app. I am using the Huawei Mate 10 Pro and my app of choice is Textra. I have seen several threads that have related questions, so I picked one and posted. Are there any other suggestions or any additional info necessary that would point to a solution?

11. joaomgcd

Did you see the FAQ I mentioned above?

12. bigjaydogg1

bigjaydogg1 New Member

I did, and it seems that posting on a different thread may have been better. I am having the same issue as rogerinnyc.

The issue is that if I send a message through the browser extension, it isn't registering with the phone. The recipient gets the messages, but there is no record of the sent message on the phone app. This means that once the browser reloads the conversation, there are no records of message sent through Join. I do recognize that it's because the default messenger has no record of the sent message.

In the Join app, I recently went to Settings>SMS and Phone Calls>Advanced and toggled "All texts as MMS" on. This seems to make the messages log the way one might expect. I don't know yet if there will be any unwanted side effects, so if you know what I can do to fix the issue without sending all messages as MMS, please let me know.

13. joaomgcd

Thanks. Unfortunately that's an issue with the SMS app that isn't detecting that Join is sending SMS messages :( Not much I can do I'm afraid... I'm glad that workaround works!