Open "One of your devices is already named 'blank'..." message when chrome/chromium starts

Discussion in 'Join' started by smacka-my-paca, Feb 10, 2017.

1. smacka-my-paca

smacka-my-paca New Member

Everytime I start chrome, this message pops up telling me to rename my device because the name is already taken. No matter how many times I change it, it will still display the message the next time chrome starts. If I just click "Okay" without changing the name, it displays the dialog one more time then it's gone until I restart chrome. The messaging and notifications still come through so it seems to just be a bug. Happens in Ubuntu
    Edit: It's happening in Windows 10 as well now. Except it asks me three times to change the name instead of twice.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  2. Mark Mitchell

Mark Mitchell New Member

I am also having this issue on MacOS. It seems to be the result of me using my Chrome login on two different computers - the Join extension is installed on one and then appears automatically on the other with the same device name because it's tied to my Chrome account. It then freaks out because they're both named the same thing and throws up some error messages every time I open the browser. It seems that you can't have two instances of Chrome logged into the one account and have them listed as two different devices.
    Any help from the devs would be awesome.