Open Trouble using Join Receive Message in Node-RED

Discussion in 'Join' started by BiggusNickus, Feb 3, 2020.

1. BiggusNickus

BiggusNickus New Member

Hello, I have been using Join + IFTTT + Tasker to use Google Home to send a Wake-On-Lan packet from my phone to my desktop, and it has been working successfully. Tonight I tried to migrate this function to my Raspberry Pi using NodeRED. I am new to NodeRED but it seems straight-forward enough, however I have been diagnosing my flow for 2 hours and have had no success. I have come to the conclusion that the Join Receive Message node is not receiving from my IFTTT applet. Any help with this would be much appreciated!

-I have the Join server configured in Node-RED and the device is visable in my joinjoaoapps console.
    -I am using the correct API and Device ID strings
    -I am using a bash script to send a WakeOnLan message to my system and this is working correctly from SSH when I enter it manually, I just can't get it to execute from Node-RED.
    -I have tried using the EXEC node to run as sudo and to run otherwise
    -When I look at the DEBUG window, there is zero output: it appears my Node-RED is not being triggered at all.

To clarify: my IFTTT applet is configured to send a push text "pc_on" to the specified device (either my phone or Node-RED on my Raspbian) which triggers a script to execute the WOL command with the correct MAC address (and yes, my system is WOL compatible, as stated this works fine configured from my phone.) As far as I can tell the script should execute with no issue however I am unable to trigger "Join Receive Message" in NodeRED to respond at all. It is configured with the correct API string and shows in my Join console as a device. Should I be sending something other than text? Do I need to format the webhook differently to reach my NodeRED server (besides using the correct device ID?) Do I need to specify the port for the server on my Raspberry Pi somewhere that I'm not seeing? I'm at a loss. I'm also not familiar with how to check for errors, however I assume I'd be seeing some sort of output in the debug window if there were any action being triggered. Please help, TIA.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

If you take the Join URL that you're using in IFTTT and just put it in a browser, does that make the "Join Receive Message" node trigger?

: IFTTT, node-red