AutoRemote Wi-Fi service ~~ time-out error

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by skribb, Jun 3, 2016.

1. skribb

skribb Member

I have tried using the wifi service to send stuff from Eventghost to my phone and it has been working more reliably, however, I have been getting occasional time-out errors in the apache server.

These time-outs have gotten worse with time so I have now stopped using the wifi service on my phone altogether.

This lead me to try TerRemote instead, which can receives messages via UDP and TCP.
    The interesting part here is that I can't receive messages from Eventghost with TerRemote either. But ONLY when the screen is off. As soon as I turn on the screen and wait a few seconds, TerRemote can instantly receive messages from Eventghost.

This leads me to believe that the reason why Autoremote WIFI service isn't working, has something to do with the sleep state of Android. Because with GCM Autoremote, I have noticed that if the phone is in deep sleep, the phone will not receive Autoremote GCM messages (and of course not wifi either). But if the phone is in "normal" sleep (i.e the screen is off but the phone has been used in the last hour or so), GCM messages are received correctly. For this reason, my wall tablet that also uses Android, always has its screen on, and when I want to turn it "off" I just use a screen dimming app and dim it so the screen's black. That way it can always receive messages from wifi or GCM.

My conclusion is that the Wifi service is somehow reliant on the sleep mode of the Android OS. Because for me, even enabling persistent mode, does not keep the Wifi service alive and its apache server dies or something. I even made a Tasker profile that would restart the wifi service every hour and it still didn't keep it alive.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Joao, what do you think about this?

I'm using Android 4.4.3.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Are you absolutely sure that the messages aren't being received through the Wifi service? Could it be that Tasker simply isn't reacting to them?

About GCM, I'm working on a fix for that actually. :) It has been tested and should be good to go.

Thanks in advance
    João

3. skribb

skribb Member

Yes, I have checked the log every time and sometimes there's an apache error and sometimes there's no message at all.

4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Are you running the AutoRemote Wifi Service with a persistent notification?