AutoInput Can AutoInput hold click on screen or simulate volume button?

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Ian Anderson Gray, May 21, 2016.

1. Ian Anderson Gray

Ian Anderson Gray New Member

Hi.
    I've been trying to find a way to take snaps in Snapchat hands free and I am wondering if AutoInput could do this. In Snapchat I'd like to simulate holding down the snap button or hold down one of the volume buttons.
    I've played around but I can't work out how to do this or if it is even possible? My phone isn't rooted.
    I plan on writing an extensive blog post on Snapchat tips and I think this would be a much-wanted feature.
    Thanks.
    Ian

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

This will be possible on Android N but unfortunately not prior to that I don't think.
    How many seconds does the snap button need to be pressed?

3. Ian Anderson Gray

That's a shame. I was confused as to what Autoinput does. I thought I could select a point on the screen and use "long click" to get it to hold down the camera button. I am obviously missing something here. I was looking for it to simulate holding down on that part of the screen or holding down the volume up or down button.

Ideally it would do this for up to 10 seconds since this is the length of a snap. My perfect Tasker recipe would be to shake my phone when I have Snapchat open and after 5 seconds it would hold down the camera button for 10 seconds. That would mean totally hands free snapping - great for playing a musical instrument for example.

4. joaomgcd

It can "long click" but unfortunately there's no way to define for how long it'll click. And sometimes it can't even click the button at all if the receiving app doesn't support it. It's just a limitation of the Android OS' accessibility services.

As I said though, it will most probably work on Android N :)

5. Ian Anderson Gray

Thanks. I think I understand. I doubt very much that Snapchat would make it easy for remote holding of the button.
    Apparently this functionality is already baked into iOS in their accessibility options which is surprising. Hopefully Android N will solve all of this. For the time being I've seen a video showing how to get the same effect using a rubber band to hold down the volume button on the camera. Maybe low-tech is best for now! ;-)

6. joaomgcd

haha awesome :)