AutoLocation Keep getting "stuck" in geofences randomly

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Tim Totten, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Tim Totten

Tim Totten New Member

I thought it might be my phone, but I recently switched from a Nexus 5 to a Nexus 6, and the same problem happens with the new device. Effectively, I will enter a geofence and then never exit. If I look at the list of geofences, I will show as being inside one (or sometimes more) geofences when I'm actually nowhere near. The only workaround I've discovered is to open the geofence and click on "Accept Geofence" (no need to change anything). That seems to clear it. It's really random and annoying. Might go days with no issues, then I suddenly get stuck in multiple geofences, which causes strange and unexpected behavior with my Tasker profiles.

Any ideas what causes this? Or how to avoid it?

2. Thahim

Thahim Member

Whats geofence?

3. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Really sorry @Tim Totten . It's really hard to debug a situation like that because it happens so rarely. Did you check the option to exit all geofences when losing internet connection in the advanced options in AutoLocation? Maybe that might help?

4. Tim Totten

Tim Totten New Member

Sorry. For some reason, I got an e-mail notification for the first reply, but never got one for the @joaomgcd reply.

Unfortunately, I have to keep the option unchecked for exit when losing Internet connection because I'm too often in places where I have no/poor mobile data connection and no/poor Wi-Fi connection. So I was constantly getting kicked out of geofences even in some parts of my own house, office, etc.

So the problem of getting stuck in a geofence seems to happen pretty regularly about once or twice a week for me. Maybe it's related to times when I lose Internet connection as I move in/out of geofences. I do have some Tasker profiles that switch me between Wi-Fi and 3G/4G based on location (in some cases with Airplane Mode enabled to prevent 3G/4G connection and save battery when I'm on Wi-Fi). So there are sometimes brief periods (maybe a few seconds) during handoff between 3G/4G and Wi-Fi. But I would hope that AutoLocation was somewhat resistant to brief dropouts of Internet connectivity.

Of course, I might be totally off base, and none of that is related. Any other suggestions?

5. Tim Totten

Tim Totten New Member

I still haven't been able to find any solution. If joaomgcd can't reproduce the issue to find a solution, maybe a work around would be to add a Tasker action capability to force an exit to a geofence? Maybe under Plugin -> AutoLocation -> Manage, then enter the name of a geofence and make the Action "force exit geofence" or something like that?

6. joaomgcd

@Tim Totten have you tried turning on the AutoLocation location monitor in high accuracy when you're stuck in a geofence? Make sure to enable the option for the location monitor to help the geofence monitor in the advanced options in AutoLocation.
    Maybe turning on the location monitor will force the geofences to more accurately update themselves... Sorry for the trouble

7. der3k

der3k New Member

This has been happening to me as well, for a few weeks now.

I have two Nexus 4 devices.. both were originally running rooted lollipop where the issues happened. Now back to CM11 (KitKat 4.4.4) and the issues persist.

I had an app (Toggle Cell) that turned the cell network on/off when disconnect/connecting to WiFi.

Figured this might be the issue so I disabled this (now cell radio is always on) Still the problem persists.

It's a shame because my girlfriend and I really relied on AutoLocation geofences.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

8. der3k

der3k New Member

As suggested, I started the location I'm high accuracy mode and the geofence exited.

While this is great... Atleast I'm not stuck inside it...

Any solution to get geofences to exit reliably? Besides running high accuracy location monitor that will kill battery?

I'd like to be able to have Tasker actually react to the exits a reasonable amount of time after I actually leave a place. Like a minute or two MAX.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

9. joaomgcd

Unfortunately I haven't changed anything on my side so the only reason that would start to happen would be because of some other factor. It could be because of an update in Google Play Services, or a setting that you are now setting differently than before... Are you sure you're not enabling/disabling location related settings somewhere? Sorry not to be of much help...

10. Josselin Lamberti

Josselin Lamberti New Member

I hope I'm not too late to the party.
    One suggestion to save battery is to trigger the location monitor when 2 geofences (e.g. home and work) that don't overlap are both 'in'. This would be an error detection profile that would deactivate as soon as the geofences are fixed by the high accuracy location monitor. An exit task would switch the battery killing location monitor off.
    I created such a profile at a time when I had issues with my geofences.

: geofence