Solved Enable SMS and Call Service not working on Android

Discussion in 'Join' started by Fouchey, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Fouchey

Fouchey New Member

I bought Join a few months ago and loved the functionality/support compared to pushbullet. Recently though I have no been able to use SMS consistently. I started to notice that on the web app and Chrome newer messages that I received were not showing. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it temporarily seems to work for a few days. Today I tried to turn off SMS and call service and then turn it back on - after entering my number it just gets stuck on "Please Wait.. exporting contacts and SMS info to Google Drive." Also when I run diagnostics it seems to get stuck on the SMS/Contact step. When I go to the Chrome app it just says:
    Seems that the SMS service was not enabled for this device or that some files were not synced.

Enabling SMS remotely now, please wait...

Just gets stuck on this.
    On Android if I go to the Remote SMS tab the loading icon just spins and nothing ever happens.
    Could it have anything to do with RCS? Only recent changes I can think of that I have made are using RCS with Google's messenger app and start using Nova Launcher. I can't imagine these being an issue though. Logs seem to be empty. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

2. Fouchey

Fouchey New Member

I uninstalled/reinstalled and as of now everything seems to be working ok. Guess I can see how the next couple of days go.

3. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Glad it's working for you again :)

4. silversword

silversword New Member

Just started getting this same message today on a PC thru chrome app. Started failing on android out of the blue (no config changes on my side).

Tested on Android, and showed errors. Restarted android, then retested and tests showing ok now. Restarted PC and join test on PC chrome show ok. Still getting error on PC Chrome SMS/Phone section stating SMS service was not enabled for this device.

What app/device was "uninstalled/reinstalled" to get it operational? The android app, or the chrome app?

Recommended testing/reset steps?

5. joaomgcd

In Chrome go to the devices tab -> Select device -> Send an SMS message. Does that work?

6. silversword

silversword New Member

There's a flash of the list of text messages for ~1 second (not long enough to see if it's an updated, or old list of texts), then on Chrome the "Seems that the SMS service was not enabled for this device or that some files were not synced.
    Enabling SMS remotely now, please wait..."

error comes up.

I uninstalled join on my android device, and re-installed/reinitialized the device. Chrome was giving errors under diagnostics. Restarted Chrome, now Chrome diagnostics are all reading ok. Still stuck at chrome not being able to read the data under SMS/Phone tab though (left it going 10mins, no change so far).

Trying to "Take a screenshot" from chrome for the android device I get both errors immediately:
    [​IMG]

Diagnostics on Android are green to here:
    [​IMG]

FWIW Text syncing was working well till 1-3 days ago (has been for 1+ years without issues). Not sure what's changed that's causing so many problems. No phone updates (other than Play Store is set to auto-update apps). No Android security patch during the time of the problems starting.

Addendum: The test on the mobile ran all night after I went to sleep and eventually went green for the last 3 items (probably ran at least 30-60mins. very slow, which might be where the issues is coming from?

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  7. joaomgcd

8. silversword

silversword New Member

Installed the new join.apk, at 34mins it's still trying to:
    [​IMG]

Not sure if it's related, but during the initialization of "Phone and SMS" in the startup wizard it tries to identify my phone number. It comes back (after 2+mins) with an E-mail address, and I have to manually type the phone number in.

Google Pixel XL, latest 4/2018 patches. There are a total of 13673+ SMS messages in the local device SMS database. I wouldn't think it would send all those messages into the Join Drive cache that's syncing that data (Only do the last 30-60days?). Not sure if the additional info is of use.

[​IMG]

9. joaomgcd

Thanks. The issue is that the first time it has to run it goes through all your messages. You're right , I should optimize the process somehow. If you just let it run it'll probably finish eventually :)

10. silversword

silversword New Member

I did let it continue running. I get new SMS notifications in (in it's own window), but when trying to look at the list of text messages under the SMS/Phone tab I'm still getting the Enabling SMS remotely now, please wait... (message never goes away - last pic in previous post)

11. silversword

silversword New Member

This is still ongoing, and I noticed that the contact names are blank. Maybe it reading contact info that's the problem? Should I post in a new thread since this one is marked as solved?

12. silversword

silversword New Member

Ok, so in testing from another chrome profile I found it didn't have any problems. There must have been some corruption in the chrome extension (pushed update?) that was causing long delays, removing and re-adding the chrome extension fixed it's SMS connectivity.

: Android, SMS, JOIN