Open Chrome extension slower with latest version?

Discussion in 'Join' started by John Kizer, May 6, 2017.

1. John Kizer

John Kizer New Member

This is relatively minor, but I've noticed that since the latest version (the one that I assume added a color picker, theme options, etc.) of the extension updated, displaying the Join menu by clicking on the extension is slower than before - about 3 seconds after clicking, a small (maybe 30x20 pixel) window appears showing the top left corner of the Devices option, then after another second the full window appears.

This is more pronounced on my Chromebook, although the same staggered display happens on my Windows laptop too. The Windows computer is a lot beefier, but I just figured since there was a difference seemingly across versions, maybe there was something that could be tweaked or done on my end.

Thanks for any ideas!

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the report! Did you change the theme? Are you using a custom theme or the "Normal" one? Thanks in advance!

3. skyxliner

skyxliner New Member

i can confirm this is also happening to me, normal theme. kept it standard. task manager doesn't seem to be using more processing power either. it's just a brief lag, not snappy like previously

4. John Kizer

John Kizer New Member

I had switched off of "Automatic" to "Normal" as I'm not a big fan of dark themes, and I have switched the color from the default. I thought it was actually back to normal again, but realized that it seems to be triggered by accessing the SMS tab. I hadn't done so during my current Chrome session and the menu showed snappily, but I clicked on the SMS tab, closed and re-opened, and it's back to the two-stage loading display behavior (and now about a 5-6 second delay before the menu shows).

Thanks for the help / any ideas you can offer!

5. skyxliner

skyxliner New Member

I have to commend joaomgcd on how fast he implements changes, really amazing!
    Yesterday i had about a 3-4 second lag between the click and the popout of the menu.
    Requested to joaomgcd to add a button to reset template.
    Not sure if it was related or he fixed the lag bug, but I clicked default template settings this morning and the popout was instant.
    give that a try if you're on the beta.

6. John Kizer

John Kizer New Member

Sorry I never followed up here (thought I had email alerts enabled, I must not have!) but I second skyxliner's comment - kudos to joaomgcd, everything is snappy again! (Even with the changed theme)