AutoVoice ImportError with Assistant on Windows 10

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Terrainer, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Terrainer

Terrainer New Member

After following all the instructions, I enter 'py -m googlesamples.assistant', but I get this error afterwards, which I can't find a solution to:
    C:\Users\Terrainer>py -m googlesamples.assistant
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Users\Terrainer\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\runpy.py", line 193, in _run_module_as_main
    "__main__", mod_spec)
    File "C:\Users\Terrainer\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\runpy.py", line 85, in _run_code
    exec(code, run_globals)
    File "C:\Users\Terrainer\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\googlesamples\assistant\__main__.py", line 24, in <module>
    from . import (
    ImportError: cannot import name 'assistant_helpers'

2. Terrainer

Terrainer New Member

I should note that assistant runs fine using the googlesamples-assistant-pushtotalk command. However, AutoVoice does not work with it.

3. Kilroyma

Kilroyma New Member

I'm having the exact same issue. I should note that I can't even get pushtotalk to work, I keep getting this:
    py -m googlesamples.assistant.pushtotalk
    C:\Users\"user"\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\python.exe: No module named googlesamples.assistant.pushtotalk

4. hardyh

hardyh New Member

Was this error ever solved? I've got the same problem, for me pushtotalk does work but 'py -m googlesamples.assistant' returns the ImportError: cannot import name 'assistant_helpers' error.

5. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi there. Sorry for the long delay on this. I need to take another stab at this because Google changed things up and it's not working sorry about that.

kabelux likes this.
  6. hardyh

hardyh New Member

Thanks for your reply, looking forward to it!

7. kabelux

kabelux New Member

Thanks for your reply, Joao. Hope there's a way to solve everything!

8. halfamused

halfamused New Member

Any update on this? For those of you still having this problem a work-around is using Jarvis Lite + Autohotkey to target assistant.grpc.pushtotalk and press the Enter key when "Hey Google/OK Google" is triggered. Cutting out Jarvis Lite and Autohotkey in favor of AutoVoice would be preferable though.

9. mic6

mic6 New Member

Same issue here, even tried with older version of python from around the time this guide was created, but no luck.
    ImportError: cannot import name 'assistant_helpers' when running py -m googlesamples.assistant
    Is there any solution to this problem yet, or do we just write off autovoice as a tool to pass voice commands to google assistant software?

10. mic6

mic6 New Member

@joaomgcd could you say if this is something that's likely to be fixed at some point or just nothing there can be done about it?