In this very simple example we'll learn how to send a "say hello" command from Google Assistant to Tasker and make Tasker show a small toast with the text Hello from Tasker
This is how it'll look like in the end:
For this you'll need:
- Google Assistant on your phone or on Google Home
- An IFTTT account
- Join Android App
- Tasker Android App
- AutoApps Android app (Alternatively you can use the Join Command condition on step 3)
STEP 1 - CREATE RECIPE ON IFTTT
- Go to https://ifttt.com/
- Click on My Recipes
- Click Create a Recipe
- Click on the big this
- Type Assistant
- Select Google Assistant
- Select Say a simple phrase
- Under What do you want to say? write say hello
- Under What do you want the Assistant to say in response? write Ok, saying hello through Tasker!
STEP 2 - SEND COMMAND TO JOIN
Now, whenever Google Assistant hears a command with the words say hello it'll send your device a Join push with the text say hello. That command will then be redirected to Tasker if you have it installed.
- Click the big that
- Search for Webhook
- Select the Webhooks Channel (IFTTT renamed it from Maker as seen in the video)
- Select Make a Web Request
- Go to https://joinjoaomgcd.appspot.com/ and select the device that has Tasker. Then select Join API
- In the Text field write say hello
- (Not in video) Reveal your API Key by clicking the big SHOW button. This will reveal both your API Key and your Join URL
- Copy the URL in the URL field
- Paste the URL in the URL field on IFTTT
- On IFTTT Set Method to GET
- Click on Create Action
- Click on Create Recipe
STEP 3 - CREATE PROFILE TO REACT TO "SAY HELLO"
Alternatively you can use the Join Received Push condition here. Use the Text section in the condition.
- Create a new profile in Tasker
- Use the Event -> plugins -> AutoApps Command condition
- Set the Command Filter to say hello
- Enable the Exact option
- Accept and create a task
STEP 4 - SHOW TOAST
- In the Task add a Flash action with the text Hello from Tasker!
STEP 5 - TEST
If you now open Google Assistant and say say hello the toast from Tasker should appear!
NOTE: It seems that sometimes IFTTT takes a bit longer to update Google Assistant with a new voice command. If that happens try to wait a bit and then try the voice command again after a few minutes