Open 2 Issues with group SMS/MMS - names and my messages

Discussion in 'Join' started by LinkSlayer64, Sep 29, 2018.

1. LinkSlayer64

LinkSlayer64 New Member

Edit: changed image embeds to links because the images were huge, sorry about that.
    Let me state ahead of time, I have 3 devices - a phone with Cellular service, a phone without, but has access to wifi of course, and a desktop with the chrome extension installed.

Hello, I seem to be having a few issues with Join's remote SMS functionality.

The first, I apologize may be a lacking feature as opposed to a bug.
    On Chrome and in the SMS app, in a group SMS/MMS, each user's message has their name above it to identify the person in the conversation. However, it does not do this in the "remote SMS" section of the app. I use a second android device, so I sync my SMS to that device as well, but it becomes impossible to tell who sent which. Examples:
    original app:
    https://i.imgur.com/SeKJ8Rg.png

Chrome extension:
    https://i.imgur.com/sMy54Ji.png

Remote SMS part of app on another android device:
    https://i.imgur.com/JIyF4AY.png

As I said, I'm unsure if this would just be a feature request, and if it is, I apologize. it just seems odd it would be implemented on one part of the app's functionality and not another. I did use Join's file sharing to send those photos to my computer though, so I'm happy to say that feature is working great!

The other issue is that sometimes my sent messages will not sync, but the ones sent to me will. I sent 2-3 messages in between the messages received at the bottom.
    https://i.imgur.com/lZaR2PO.png

Additionally, something I didn't notice until I took the screenshot, it is listing every user for the messages above, when it is only coming from one of them.

Lastly I tend to just have some general syncing issues, where conversations don't seem to update and I can't figure out any way to force an update.

I ran diagonostics on all 3 devices. Reports come back clean. At first the device that has SMS sharing enabled had a GCM issue about 3 hours ago, but I let it recreate the tokens (or whatever the action it prompted me to do was) and things finally started syncing again after a short while.

Thank you in advanced for your assistance, if you need any logs from me, please let me know, I just wasn't sure which you'd want and from which devices.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Nick//VOID likes this.
  2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi there, thanks for the report!

Indeed, the Android app is missing the indication of which user belongs to each message. This happens because
    1. the remote SMS feature on Android is not used that much so there haven't been requests for this
    2. I never use MMS myself and it's very hard for me to test them since sending them has exorbitant costs for me, so in general MMS features are not as tested as the other features
    With that being said, I think I could add the feature since it's already in the Chrome version :) Can you add that request here so I can give it proper priority? https://joaoapps.helprace.com/ Thanks!

About the second issue, check here.

About the third issue, that sometimes happens if there are network issues. Join creates a notification whenever it's syncing SMS (if you didn't disable the notifications) so please check there if there are still pending uploads when you don't see a conversation being synced.

Hope this helps!

3. LinkSlayer64

LinkSlayer64 New Member

Hi, thanks for the response, I will get on putting in a feature request when I have more than 3 minutes.

However, you misunderstood my second issue. It is not that my messages are not showing up in my messaging app, it is that my sent messages are not showing up in the join app despite the replies showing up.

Lastly, no, there are no pending syncs/uploads when my SMS wont update, I have not disabled notifications.
    Thanks again.

4. joaomgcd

Thanks.

About your messages not appearing, so to be perfectly clear, they show up in your SMS app, but do not show up in Join? But other user's messages do show up in Join?

5. LinkSlayer64

LinkSlayer64 New Member

Yes they show up in my sms app, but do not show up in the chrome extension, it appears to only be occurring with this specific conversation. The conversation also is still showing every user in the responses instead of the user who sent it

This conversation is also still not syncing correctly with my second android device. I can provide more screenshots if need be.

6. joaomgcd

Thank you. Will try to figure something out. Turns out there are some edge cases and my tests didn't reproduce all possible situations..

7. LinkSlayer64

LinkSlayer64 New Member

If there's anything more I can do to help speed this along, please let me know!
    Quick edit - I've actually found another issue.
    [​IMG]
    because the user is part of the group mms, it appears to be showing the preview for the last received message in the group mms for my indvidual conversation with them. IT is doing this on the app, not the extension.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
: join, sms, mms, issues, bug