AutoRemote Autoremote Registration and Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Durntdude, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Durntdude

Durntdude New Member

Originally this post was going to be detailed map of my frustration between Autoremote and the Raspberry Pi but I discovered the fix so instead I decided to share my steps for anyone else that uses the Autoremote with the Raspberry Pi.

Background:
    I've used the Raspberry Pi for a couple months as a sort of redirect for Autoremote commands. It's primary use was to remotely boot multiple different computers from a tasker script. The reason a redirect is needed is due to my particular router not supporting the sending of Wake on Lan packets. So instead I Autoremote a message to the Raspberry Pi that sends the WoL packets itself. This worked well, up until a power surge and caused my Raspberry Pi to corrupt its storage and need a reinstall.

Issue: After reinstalling Raspbian, I found that while I could SSH from my windows machine to the Raspberry Pi, Autoremote would not work. I could have it register to my phone, I just couldn't send anything to the Raspberry Pi

Troubleshooting:
    As per the FAQ(“Algorithm negotiation failed”), I went to https://plus.google.com/u/0/+MaximilianErtl-Sirs0ri/posts/SAWuShyQwWQ and found it to be 100% useless. The issue wasn't with an expiring session but instead it was with the key algorithm used. With the most recent Raspbian version the key algorithm that Autoremote uses for linux no longer works (at least for me).

Solution:
    After literally hours of searching for what caused the problem and later how to fix it, I stumbled across http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26424621/algorithm-negotiation-fail-ssh-in-jenkins This was the solution. After editing the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file and adding the following lines at the end:

KexAlgorithms curve25519-sha256@libssh.org,ecdh-sha2-nistp256,ecdh-sha2-nistp384,ecdh-sha2-nistp521,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1,diffie-hellman-group1-sha1

MACs hmac-sha2-512-etm@openssh.com,hmac-sha2-256-etm@openssh.com,hmac-ripemd160-etm@openssh.com,umac-128-etm@openssh.com,hmac-sha2-512,hmac-sha2-256,hmac-ripemd160,umac-128@openssh.com,hmac-md5,hmac-sha1,hmac-sha1-96,hmac-md5-96​

and restarting the Raspberry Pi, it works once more.

So instead of annoyance and frustation I instead leave a simple thank you to wierzbiks from StackOverflow for the fix and to joaomgcd for making such great apps in general. I figure at least one other person could benefit from my research

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

3. degra

degra New Member

Hi, I had the same problem and I tried that fix, but now I lost the SSH access to my raspberry even before to reboot. what could be happened?

4. degra

degra New Member

to reply myself and maybe being useful to other people: in my case the way to resolve that issue is to add to the file sshd.config just the first line
    Code (Text):
    KexAlgorithms curve25519-sha256@libssh.org,ecdh-sha2-nistp256,ecdh-sha2-nistp384,ecdh-sha2-nistp521,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1,diffie-hellman-group1-sha1