Open Dummy device for API testing

Discussion in 'Join' started by Paul Barrett, May 30, 2016.

1. Paul Barrett

Paul Barrett New Member

I'm writing some Python bindings for the Join API, and I was wondering if there were some test device IDs/ API keys I could use to run automated tests on without actually pushing anything to a real device. Basically what I was thinking right now would be something where I send a request with deviceId(s)=0 and/or apikey=0, and then the API just discards the push and returns the usual success or failure responses as if I had sent to a real device.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi! :) Thank you for contacting me! Very cool that you're writing a python wrapper for Join, would love to take a look at it after you implement it :)

There are no such devices right now, but I recommend you actually use a dummy connection instead that always returns the response you want. It'll be better for you since you have more control over the response you receive and better for me because there won't be additional stress on the servers.

Hope this helps!
    João

3. Paul Barrett

Paul Barrett New Member

That worked out quite well, thanks! One of these days, I'll get it polished enough to release, I'll let you know when that happens.

: api, developer