AutoLocation Geofence Problems

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by guyw, Jun 2, 2015.

1. guyw

guyw New Member

I have been experimenting with geofences associated with Tasker profiles and I've been having some problems. I have created two geofences for a number of locations, an outer geofence which triggers the location monitoring service and wi-fi and an inner geofence which is used for the Tasker profile to configure settings accordingly. From the way that my phone behaves and the AutoLocation logs it appears that the outer geofence is not being triggered until I enter the inner geofence.
    As an example my home geofences are configured so that the outer geofence is a 1000m radius from home and the innner geofence is a 100m radius from home but it is registering that I enter the outer geofence a few hundredths of a second before I enter the inner geofence so the Tasker profile associated with the outer geofence is almost immediately cancelled out by the profile associated with the inner geofence.

Also I have noticed that whilst I am at home my phone often reports leaving the inner geofence causing the associated Tasker profile to trigger and change my phone settings.

Any ideas on what is going wrong?

Thanks

2. guyw

guyw New Member

Is anyone able to help me with this please?

3. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Sorry for the late response.

Do you have an internet connection on your phone prior to arriving home?
    Sorry for the trouble.

4. guyw

guyw New Member

No problem :)

It's difficult to be sure as I am usually driving and my phone is not visible. I should have a phone signal with at least a GPRS data connection. My phone is configured to allow wifi scanning whilst the wifi is switched off and I understood that that would help with location services.

5. Daniel D

Daniel D Member

Except for GPS location, everything else gets very inaccurate at moments. I've got to this conclusion after the following scenario:
    My phone has always Wi-Fi, Mobile Data and Location Services set on on. GPS is only active while in the car or otherwise using the navigation. While studying my location history as provided by Google, I've seen myself jumping around the map even by a few km, without any explanation. The fact that I was around at least one Wi-Fi network (not connected) makes it even weirder. It might also be worth mentioning that, while travelling by car, at 30-60 km/h and with GPS turned on, the distance between two points can be as high as 1km.
    Giving these observations, I ca only conclude that, sometimes non-GPS location accuracy can be so erratic while moving that can make geofences worthless. On another hand, small geofences can be problematic even while stationary.

6. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Yes, that's the problem. If google can't figure out your location precisely then there's nothing AutoLocation can do about that, sorry :(
    The only way around that would be to use GPS at all times, but that is obviously not a good solution battery wise...

: geofence, tasker